Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach Gasket

Hi Everyone.

Have a 79SF and the soft gasket between the speedo/tach gauge bezel and the case looks like they have just colapsed and have withdrawn somewhat into the case. Now the gauges are very loose in the cases.

Does anyone know if these gaskets are available? I have looked everywhere with no success.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

They are not available anywhere as far as I know. I need 2 also. I have made one out of a bicycle inner tube. It works, but it looks ugly. If you find them, let me know.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Guys,

Take a look at my Tach Repair tech tip, I used some rubber door gasket material, cut it up and it fits nicely, just left a little gap/seam at the bottom where it fit together, probably could have closed that if I had wanted to rubber cement the ends together for a tighter cleaner fit!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think I got the round gasket for Specials from Bike Bandit or Parts n More. They were for the XS750 but they were the same thing. I wonder if MikesXS has them?
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Mikes doesn't have them, BikeBandit does, they deserve the BANDIT label!
          15: DAMPER 34300-001 $15.26
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

TC,

Thanks for the tips on this tach gasket fix. I am usually pretty handy with this kind of stuff so I think I am going to get into your gasket fix because the material looks of better quality than the OEM, which is a skinned over foam material.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Great fix

I tried TC's gasket fix using the same material he used. I found it here in New Orleans at Home Depot for about $8.00 a roll. Has a nice adhesive strip on the back too. I used an exacto knife to remove part of the material and then I affixed it to the gauge and trimmed off the ends for a tight fit. The gauges fit snugly back into the cans and it looks great too. The whole thing took about 25 minutes including tome to remove and replace the gauges from the bike.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Comment

Yep... Those gaskets are available from YAMAHA and they're pricey, just like TC said. I found them reasonably priced a while back and bought four. They are the same for XS650, XS750, XS850, XS1100, and probably some others.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                X