Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call with a buck!

and not the kind you spend!
    Riding to work about 2:45 Am the other night I had my bright lights on so I guess I didnt see a 8 point buck cross the center line right in front of me. I just saw horns at the last second, no time to hit the brakes or turn.
    He broke the left turn signal lense, re-broke the corner of the windshield that had been previously broken by the bike falling over, then he hit my left leg, and finally my left saddle bag- which just needed another pop rivet put into the buckle to fix.
    I thought he had broken my leg, but it was just brused, and swollen.
    the bike nor I really suffered any damage, and I assume the buck is fine as well.
    I just wanted to let every one hear about this near ugly accident so you would all be careful, as will I, especially at night when the deer are on the move.

Thank you Lord!
    Jon
    '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Glad to hear your Ok!
    The bucks and does run wild all over up here in Minnesota too
    ya really gota keep your eyes peeled day and night ,they like to see if they can clear your bike at the last second.
    thats for sure.
    Keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the bars

Comment

LJay40,

Yes they do, and I'd hate to hit one of the monster deer you have up there, though this one was plenty big to be sure.
      Thanks for you comments, and I intend to be more careful.
      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Glad to hear that your run in was not severe! I nearly had a fatal encounter with the biggest Elk I'd ever seen up in Humboldt county whilst driving my VW Bus in the fog. Luckily, I JUST missed him, but I can't imagine how much more terrifying that'd be on a bike...

ride safe man.
        Kristoffer
        "Take apart yer carbs!"
        1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
        1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Glad to hear your okay! a deer can be a bad addition to any cycle trip....

A couple of years back I was riding my KZ650 through the Blue Ridge Mts in Virginia. Lovely place to ride btw. Anyway, it's just before lunch and I'm comming around a left hand curve in the road and spooked a doe and her fauns, all three bolt out into the road in front. "OH SH**!!" adrenaline, sphincter, brake....

Luckily two of them swerved back into the brush, the other, a faun probably 65# goes for it with a leap. Ends up straddling my front fender untill I come to a stop. at which point it hits the ground on it's side.
          the damn thing looks at me and gets up and runs off to it's mama.

no perminant damage, but I had to get off the road for 30mins have a smoke and calm down.

Ya never know what's waiting to jump out in front of ya.
          81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
          sticky side down!

Comment

Youch! Glad you're just bruised! Take care!
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Though a lot smaller, a 30-30 is a lot more effective on bucks...

Glad you came through okay!
              Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
              78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
              02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

About 25 years or so ago I nailed a deer on a RD350. That was less than fun even if it wasn't a bad crash.

I was living out in the rolling hills of western Oregon and I was more or less used to the stupid stuff deer would do. I saw the damn beast off to the left of the road so I slowed down to a crawl. Just about the time I figured it wasn't going to run, it did and right in front of me. My front wheel hit it in the a$$ and then it came down on my right knee. It put so much pressure on the rear break, the splines on the brake cam stripped off.

All in all I was pretty damn lucky. I'd still rather shoot them but they're only smart enough to hide during hunting season.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks for all your kind words and wishes, sorry for the long time it took me to get back to you guys.

Blue - I am going to try and shoot one or more this year I think, we could use less on the roads around here. It's definetly the better way to get a deer and less painful/dangerous.

One other thought on the whole ordeal is.. I sure am glad I was on a 24 year old 1100, I am sure the extra wieght is part of what kept me from going down from the collision.

Thanks again for all your kind words and support, I'm happy to still be around, and ya'll be careful out there, I want to keep reading all your posts.

God Bless,
                  '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
                  X