pilot jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilot jets?

I have a 79 standard with stock carbs. Heres the ? how do the piot jets work if there is a screw and washer pluging one side of the tower they thread into ?
    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
    79 XS1100 modified standard
    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

On the 78-79 the pilot jet is fed thru the main jet. There is a hole that conects the 2 towers. Remove the main jet and you can see it.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

So if my bike is having trouble from Idle to 3000 rpms, ie slow exceleration,sputters a little I may have a clogged hole? thanks RB
      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

The hole that connects the towers probably isn't the problem. The pilot circuit is more likely dirty. Disassemble and clean. Take out the mains,pilots,slides,emulsion tubes,idle mixture screws. Get a can of carb cleaner, spray all passage ways, let sit for 5-10 min,repeat,repeat,repeat.Blow out with air. Don't forget to make sure the little hole in the bowl is clear, and the little tube in the bottom of carb. Make sure all the little holes in the pilots and emulsion tubes are clear. When installing the idle mixture screws...be careful, the tips break off easy.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I bet it is my idle mixture screws and ports. That is the only part I didnt remove from the carbs when I cleaned them. I know for a fact that all the other stuff is spotless. new pitols, new mains, reused emulsion tubes but definetly checked every hole with a wire.
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

It's not what you CAN see...It's what you cann't see...the little passage ways on the inside of the idle/low speed circuit....can be a B. New parts? If they are K&L...I haven't had ANY luck with that brand. No reason the old jets go bad. If you still have em...I'd use em.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Not K&L unless that is what MIKESXS sells. I put bigger jets in due to pod filters and open header. So I am not fully understanding this low speed/idle circuit. You know the route the fuel takes through the carbs. Does the idle mixture screw adjust the amount of fuel or air?
              Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Check out this thread. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=carb+diagram

T.C. has a cool diagram illustrating the carbs about 2/3 down the first page. I know it answered some of my questions.
                -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Your good with Mikes. These bikes will run better with some kind of back pressure/muffler than open headers. If you want the sound...go for it. Someplace in here there is a really good color pic of the carb passage ways...I couldn't fine it. Maybe 1 of the other guys knows were it is. Slow speed circuit: Air enters the air jet (air box side) the 180-or 185 jet in the bell, goes thru the pilot jet "sides" mixes w/gas sucked up thru the tower thru the main jet, than thru the center of pilot jet, than thru the idle mixture and the three little holes by the butterfly. This passage way seems to be were the problem usualy is. The idle mixture controls fuel. In lean, out rich.
                  79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Thats the 1. Guess I type to slow.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                    X