pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipes

so i buy these pipes from 79xs11f and they are nice pipes, all he said they was and more, great guy to deal with, he packed them very well(better than I would pack china), anyway how come no one said they wouldnt work on a 81 with the oil cooler? dam, i wish they would, but with the cooler lines there. theres no room for the inner pipe, unless theres a way to route the cooler lines different? any suggestions?

cool...piping up

You might want to post a pic of how your cooler is mounted, but should not interfere with exhaust. Oil cooler lines on one of my XS'es are "wire tied to front of frame where they come out/in to cooler (one on each side) then down near bottom have some stainless steel wire wrapped around em to keep em closer together (about 3 1/2 inches apart) going to adapter plate.

Cooler lines can be made shorter, or you can get new ones that are longer to route em where needed.

mro

Comment

On mine, the lines come out the front of the filter housing. From there, I ran them between pipes 2&3 and zip tied them together so they wouldn't ever touch the pipes. Then at the top the seperate and go to the sides of the cooler. Where do your lines leave the housing? A pic would help a lot.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

[IMG][/IMG] heres the pic, as you can see the pipes on the bike are a lot wider at the bottom than the others, and i cant see how the oil cooler lines can be moved

Comment

Glad your happy with the pipes ..
          I can't see under the bike and have never seen an 11 with an oil cooler up close but I would venture to guess that you will have to cut the solid lines near where they enter the cooler plate and use flexible lines to bring the lines toward the center of the engine and up to the cooler. Like I say this is sight unseen. I'm sure others with first hand experience with the cooler setup will chime in.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Another time to get bent!

OR....possibly simpler thing would be take cooler plate and/or hoses off, and take them to someone who can bend them, put a tighter turn than the 90 degree turn they now have in them so that they would come out inbetween pipes 2 and 3!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You can try to bend them around to the center, but you will loose length.
              Use a bender, don't try to freehand it.
              Otherwise, you need to find some more plumbing, maybe splice in some braided.
              You will loose the support because they won't be attached to the downtubes.
              Mine come off in the middle and basically hang, but there are no hard parts to vibrate and crack, as it's all hose. Your install is much more heavy duty than mine.
              XS1100SF
              XS1100F

Comment

Keep your cool

mro

Comment

many compliments MRO
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba