speedo issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo issue

Ok the speedo works but it is only showing about half the speed I am actually going. It wasnt working before than I adjusted it at the wheel to get the wire(whatever it is called) to spin before I connected it to the speedo. Any Ideas?
    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
    79 XS1100 modified standard
    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

If the speedo hasn't worked for a long time (before you revived it), then let it do what it does for a while. I have had them "wake up" after a couple of weeks by just using them on the bike.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

odometer

Hi Steve,
      the speedo is only a cup dragged around by an eddy current & fighting a spring, mebbe like Skids sez it's just fulla crap after it's long rest?
      Realistically, Joe Amateur can't fix them.
      However, if the flexdrive is working properly the odometer should still tell the truth. How far does it think it's gone on a known-distance trip?
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Lube the cable. At first, my spedo had a "delay" Lubed it and it was fine after about 10 miles
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

thanks for the reponses, Bike isnt street legal yet so no long trips to judge by. Just tooling around the neighborhood. Where should I lube , at the wheel or in the speedo?
          "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
          "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
          79 XS1100 modified standard
          Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
          pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
          straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
          new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
          Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
          owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

greasing the cable

You don't want the speedo to get grease inside, it won't like it.
            Best you remove the cable, pull out the inner, wash off the inner and squirt through the outer with solvent to remove the crap of ages then re-grease the inner along it's length as you slide it back in.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sorry to re-open an old thread.

Seems to have a similar problem. Bike was dropped by PO, and speedo glass broken and casing slightly bent and scratched. ODO seems to work fine, but speedo reads way too low. reads about 80/85km/h when I'm doing about 120 per wife following in cage.

Has anyone got a difinite fix on this? I still have to replace the glass as per TC's fix, but was wondering if I can open it up to clean and lube inside? I'm thinking with the glass broken and it being parked outside for an indefinite period, some crap must have got in there.

1H

PS - Got it up to 125 the other day. I reckon must equate to about 110m/hr - scary stuff. Front wheel moving around a bit on the road.
              79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
              transforming into:
              "Darth Vader"

Comment

since the glass is broken, you might as well take it apart. Did it sit outside with the glass broken? If it did, I would take it apart and clean the inside. On the moving parts, I would use a small amount of light grease, maby lubriplate of something.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

odd speedo's, other issues

Item #7 is the "clutch" (kinda like a washer with ears)
                  If not engaging properly can cause speedo to show lower speed or sometimes the speed shown will gradually increase. (like your going forty, speedo shows twenty and then slowly increases)

The "ears" can need to be bent to engage properly, have not figured out how they can get out a wack tho....

mro

Comment

Thx guys!

That was my first suspision also, but since the Odo seems to correctly record the distance, ruled out that one. Will have to leave it untill I take the wheels off for new tyres.

1H
                    79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
                    transforming into:
                    "Darth Vader"

Comment

There was a thread by TopCat on repairing your speedo. If you don't want to fix it yourself I know a fellow that builds them. PM me if you want that info.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

OK, took it apart. SOme external damage, and broken glass. PITA to get the surround and glass bit open and off. Not ever going to be the same again. Will have to panelbeat and spray it before attempting to re-assemble.

Now - The inside of the speedo looks fine. everything seems to work, gears aren't worn etc. Even the little reed switch for the auto-cancell was intact. Will clean it up and lube. Will check the cable as well and lube, and the 'clutch thingie'. Other than buying a new speedo, not much more I can do.

Hopefully it all works when I put it back together!!!

1H
                        79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
                        transforming into:
                        "Darth Vader"

Comment

I have tried fixing xs11 standard speedos before. One lesson that I learned is that if you pull off the needle, you will have a real tough time finding its resting spot. Ill bet that if there was a way to remove the zero peg, you could see how far below it the needle deflects to so you could replace the needle at the correct point. To sum it up, now I just replace speedos with working ones from ebay now.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Bidding on a km/h one on UK e-bay at the moment. Problem is, getting it here is probably going to be more than the bid..

Will know on Sunday.
                            1H
                            79F - "Anakin Skywalker"
                            transforming into:
                            "Darth Vader"

Comment

Working...
                            X