mechanic in Wharton area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mechanic in Wharton area?

Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Wharton, TX area? Wharton is about 60 miles South West of Houston on highway 59, a little further than that North East of Victoria. I have reached the end of my expertise trying to get my bike running again.

I 'm down in Victoria, mechaniced for Yamaha back in the 70's & 80's maybe I can help you with your bike. I still work on bikes from time to time. What problems are you having with your bike?
    Do'Lee
    XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
    (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
    (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
    (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
    SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Well, a while back I discovered that a PO of my bike had patched some rather large holes in the fuel tank with bondo or something similar. I had the tank off for a while, about a month, before I was able to find something I thought suitable to fix the tank with. Once I got the tank back on the bike, I could not get it to run. Sometimes it will start with the fuel enricher all the way out, but it will never get to the point that it will run without the enricher. If I try to twist the throttle even the slightest bit, the motor bogs down and dies. Sometimes, if I take it real slow with the throttle, I can get it to rev up, but it is extremely rough getting there. The motor just coughs, sputters, and backfires. I don't know if its something with the carbs or something else. The sad thing is, I just don't have time to work on it myself. I can give it a couple of hours on Saturday occasionally, but that's about it. On top of that, I know the longer I leave it sitting, the worse shape its going to be in.

Comment

If you want me to take a look at your bike I will. I 'm working on some of the area ranchers 4-wheelers right now. Trying to get them ready for hunting season, but in a week or two I sould be finished with them and would have time to check out your bike. Just let me know.
        Do'Lee
        XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
        (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
        (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
        (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
        SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

I will definetely keep you in mind. I'll get back with you in a couple of weeks if I can't get something done before then.

Comment

Hey Rob,

Sounds like the carbs have gotten clogged, or gummed up from too much sitting with old gas. Also, the bondo may have leached into the fuel and contaminated it and the carbs as well! Get a can of SEAFOAM, put in about 1/4 or 1/2 a can into a full tank of gas, and run it for 10 minutes or so, enough to empty the fuel bowls and get the cleaner into them. Let it sit a day, then restart and try to drive it. Many folks have reported almost miraculous results with this stuff!! Worth a try until you can get to Do Lee!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah, I thought the gas may have been contaminated as well. I put completely new fuel in it and it still wouldn't run. I then did the seafoam thing as you have suggested. I got it to start, let it run about 10 minutes and then let it sit a day. Still no good, I let it sit for a few more days and still no luck. I thought maybe some gunk had gotten from the tank into the carbs, but I have inline filters on the fuel lines, so that can't be it. It was running fine before I took the tank off. I can't believe it went that bad that fast.

Comment

Working...
              X