Windjammer electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windjammer electrical problems

I am having an electrical problem I can't track down. I am trying to get the Windjammer hooked up but the harness is causing fits. I have cleaned all the connections on the harness and when using a seperate 12v battery can get everything to work properly. All lights worked properly on the bike to begin with. Now when I hook up the fairing harness I can't get the lights to come on as they are supposed to. The headlight and both turn signal/running lights seem to be sharing voltage and are all very dim. I have the headlight hooked up to the headlight plug on the bike, the turn signal hooked up to the dark green and brown wires as the factory lights were hooked up. The fairing harnes shares a common ground through the headlight plug but I also added extensions going to the grounds for the turn signals as per factory. Now when I plug the harness in I get no lights until both turn signals and the headlight are all plugged in and then the lights are very dim if they come on at all. This also causes both turn signal indicators on the dash to glow dimly and if I can get the turn signal/flashers to work at all it tries to flash both turn signals and the headlight as if they are all on one circuit. If I go back to just the factory headlight and turn signals the headlight will work fine and the turn signals will be fine for a while but then will either start to do the same with the exception of the headlight. I am using the blue wire at the headlight bucket as power for the running lights if that makes a difference. All worked well the first time I hooked it up, then started having trouble, blew a fuse, and found a short in the headlight switch, both corrected but now the problem is still there. Any thing else to check as I am baffled?
    80 XS1100LG

Might sound stupid but I think I may have figured it out. Checked the battery and it was low. Hooked it up to a charger and all is good now. Will update on if the gremlin goes away for good. Still wondering how a low battery could resemble a short?
    80 XS1100LG

Comment

Not a shot, but a bad ground!! With too low a voltage, the ground is trying to carry everything. I put a second ground wire on my Windjammer, when it was on.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

For what it is worth. I belive that the Vetter web page has wiring diagrams. But it sounds as if you have it solved
        78E ... Gone but not forgotten
        2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Working...
        X