Identifying parts in gasket kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying parts in gasket kit?

OK, Trying to wrap-up my top end refreshing.
    I bought a complete engine gasket kit. In this kit I find 12 small
    o-rings (about 3/8") that I don't seem to have use for.
    Being that the quantity is 12, and the diameter, I was thinking that they might be for somewhere on the cyl studs, but I that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Looking at the fiche, the only o-rings that I see similar to these are on the valve guide, but then the quan would be only 8.
    I am not refering to the valve stem oil seals, just an o-ring.

I didn't get into the bottom end. Are these little guys for the case maybe??

TIA
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Hey NewMaac,

The fiche shows 6 O-rings in the crankcase assembly, 4 of one size, 2 of a slightly different size, plus I know there's 1 for the oil pump to case, but that's only total of 7?

Probably don't need to worry about them!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I couldn't find any place to put those O-rings when I put mine together, so they rest in a place of extreme honour... my spare parts cabinet. Hmm... correction, I think I DID use 2 or 3 of them putting the bottom end back together, but the rest are just taking up space.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

That's pretty much as I suspected.
        Thanks for the confirmation guys. There's nothing quite like having parts left over after a job. LOL

Speaking of parts left over, I was so anxious to hear this motor come back to life, just after re-installing the carbs and airbox, I looked down and what did I find??? The oil supply line for the head. DOH!!!!

I have pulled those carbs so many times, I have it down to about three minutes, I think. )

I will report back soon to share a few little lessons learned during the top-end rebuild.
        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Working...
        X