Kick Starter Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick Starter Storage

Maybe if I waited until my manual finally arrived this question would be unnecessary. But it's three weeks and counting since I ordered and I haven't gotten a thing. I haven't waited to start working on this fine old ride. I'm anxious to hear it rumble and most things I can figure out.

One thing I can't figure out, however, is where the kickstarter is stored. When I got the bike it was already mounted, likely by the PO as he was attempting an assassination. He almost succeeded. I am taken, as I dismantle this bike, by the condition of the parts. She looked like hell when I brought her home and had suffered from storage, but the parts were all in very good shape when this cycle was laid up. I figure it broke the PO's heart once too often and got shoved into the corner. The wiring was a mess.

I wondered how you were supposed to ride this thing with that kicker hanging out there, without a hinge to fold it back. OK, first XS. I never saw one meant to come off before

Anyway, does anybody have a picture?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    Last edited by Incubus; 09-09-2006, 05:47 PM.
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

On the right hand side, I think just behind/below the airbox, you should see a wingnut and a black bracket. That is the thing that secures the kickstarter lever when not in use. The lever rests parallel to the ground. You will likely find it useless because if the battery is dead, the brain box will not function anyways. They did not install them on the 80 and 81 models.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I think the kickstarter will prove useful during this rebuild, but I probably won't have much use for it after that. My Honda 750 has a kicker, but I inly used it once to make sure it worked. I don't use it any other time. If the battery is dead, the Honda won't spark.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I don't like to use the kickstarter. Personally it does work but it isint even practicall to use, even while rebuilding. You are going to have to get a battery sometime. I use the potrable car starters while rebuilding. They work good and will start your engine easily, at least mine does. You may want to use the kick starter to turn over the engine, but if it has been sitting for a while, you may have to crank if for a long time before it starts. I get sweaty thinking about it. Plus, I am not sure, but I don't think the electronics were designed to run without a battery installed, even a dead one, It could possibly damage it, I don't know.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hobby,

Won't damage the bike, but if the battery drops below 10.5 V, the TCI won't fire either, so kick starting is FUTILE! Best to keep a good battery!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T
            Last edited by Incubus; 09-09-2006, 08:36 PM.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Forget "T." That was a double typo.

I have a jumper battery that I have been using to charge the system to test and repair the electrics. This bike is a long, long way from the open road, so a real battery has not yet been budgeted.

The top end is off getting honed and new rings and a new head is en route. I found out my oil pump was good today when my son kicked the bike and a stream of skanky old oil showered the garage.

I figured after I drained the oil I would kick it a few times to see if there was spark from the coils. Anybody see any reason why that wouldn't work? My dirt bikes have dry magnetos like this one and they run without any battery or any other electrics, except the wire to the CDI and the coil.

I also wanted to use the kicker to turn the top end over after it is reinstalled. If I make a mistake that is a lot less likely to tear everything up.

Thanks,

Patrick
              Last edited by Incubus; 09-09-2006, 08:50 PM.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Patrick,

See reply above, the TCI will NOT Fire the coils without battery power....the bike has an ALT, not a Magneto, needs battery power to run the Alt, and electronics!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

If I left it hooked up to the jumper battery, would that provide the needed battery power to drive the brain? I'm just trying to check the coils.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

man it is too late for me to be up
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus
                      If I left it hooked up to the jumper battery, would that provide the needed battery power to drive the brain? I'm just trying to check the coils.
                      Patrick,

As long as it can deliver the 12 volts to the system, it should work just fine. Or you can even just connect your bike to your cars battery via jumpers...CAR OFF=NOT RUNNING, the bike will only draw what power it needs from the battery.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

BTW, what folding type kick start lever will work on the XS11 if I wanted to leave in on?
                        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Working...
                        X