Newbie Carb question XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Carb question XJ1100

OK so with my minimal "carb" experience I went ahead and brought XJ over to a small shop 30 miles away to have carbs cleaned and new float needles put in. Bike had been leaking fuel into the airbox. Well that part is fixed - no more leaks. Only problem is as I drove home ran good about 10 miles and then the bike started missing worse and worse. I pulled the plugs out at home and all of them were black and look fouled out. I read some "search material" but am still unclear (hence the Newbie title). My questions involve what do you think is wrong?
    - I read about pilot screws - but was wondering 1) where they are and would I have to drill them off (maybe not if shop just worked on it). Is the 1 1/2 turns out appropriate for the Maxim. The further in the leaner - correct? Anyway would pilot screws be a prime suspect?
    - The air filter was probably soaked with gas at one time when it was leaking; but prior to servicing did not seem to turn plugs black; could this be a huge factor?

Any other thoughts would help. If possible I would rather make a small adjustment then foul another costly set of plugs driving back to shop
    Ride safe!

I would check the float level. You do need to pull the carbs for that, but it isn't that hard.
    Questions:
    1. Do you have fuel filters on each feed line?
    If not, put them on. You are probably getting dirt from the fuel tank, and that can cause the "fixed" floats to leak once more.
    2. Did the shop do a test ride?
    They should have taken the bike out for a ten to fifteen minute ride, to verify the carb work they did.
    3. Can you get the bike up to Olympia?
    There is a GURU who works in a shop just north of town.
    For your own fix, drain the float bowels one at a time. look for any sign of dirt or junk in the fuel. If you do see something, you may need to flush the fuel tank. If all 4 plugs are bad, the shop DID NOT fix the carbs. I would look for a new shop.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for your response Diver - I know the shop did some work because there is no longer any gasoline leakage into the airbox. So you don't think adjusting the mixture would be any help at all and my woes are probably due to float level only. PS - not sure I could make it to Olympia but sure would want a guru assistance at this point!
      Ride safe!

Comment

Hey Diver and Glenng,

Would be good to know just how much work they did to "CLEAN" the carbs, ie. replace jets!? Wonder if they might have put in those wonderful K&L missized jets?? Also wonder if they know how to synch/tune the YICS system?

Black plugs=overly rich, could be several sources, from floats incorrectly set too low(upside)....too much fuel, incorrect pilot jets, clogged air filter or snorkel for air box. Said carbs not leaking now, so doubt if they messed up O-ring under needle valve seat!? But maybe they just put in new viton tipped needle valves, but didn't replace the O-rings?

Is your choke lever fully disengaging? Lots of things to check!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC... that was my thoughts also. I was wondering if maybe the choke was left on.... ran good when cold, but when warmed up... rich.
          You might move the choke in and out and make sure the bar is sliding back and forth. You could be shutting the choke off according to the lever on the handlebars... but not actually moving it at the carbs.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

xj1100 float level

in setting my float level, the factory manual shows 3mm +or- 1mm. it shows measuring from the bottom of float bowl (where screws hold the bowl on). in another pic. shows measuring on the side between screws. Which is correct? don't want to do this twice! remember this is an XJ. thanks in advance,bill
            Last edited by cycleguy; 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X