Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tires good tires?

Hiya.

I got my new bike started... well, it started for about 15 seconds, running at 6k rpms, then it died. But the compression test turned up good results. I'm hoping cleaning out the carbs will solve the problem. Fuel comes easily out of the tank, so I can't figure out why it seems to suddenly run dry.

But anyway, my question is about tires. They are dunlop tires from around '96. They look almost new. Tread is certainly fine, but I'm wondering about the age... are they safe? And they are tubeless... the manual says something about only using tube tires.

Thx

Some guy asked to see picks of my bike because he likes to see newbie bikes. Don't have camera with me, but imagine bike on cover of manual - 27 years. wiped down with windex

I would suggest getting some new tires. Rubber compounds will break down over time and as a tire guru once told me " Max safe life out of a tire, car, truck or bike, is about 4 years " I have to say that there are only two tire between you and the road. I change mine every two years whether they need it or not.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

If you don't know how they have been stored over the years, repalce them. I have never had a motorcycle tire blow out, and it isnt worth it. Personally, my front is old, but I know it is ok for a while because I know how it was stored. I Armor-alll my tires regularly. My rear is a cheapo- Chineese tire for, you guessed it, $20. It sucks. When I get a little more experience, I will get a new set of Brigstones.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

I've ridden up to 80mph on tires that are probably 20years old. Some that have been sitting outside on the bike for several years.

Never had a problem. I don't recommend driving too much on tires you know nothing about but I have tires on my race car that are almost 10years old.

Biggest thing is to check them often. They will show definite signs before actually coming apart. If your not the kind to do this, always run with reasonably new tires.

Most of my motorcycle rear tires seem to wear out in the 10,000-14,000km range, and I've never had to worry about them being old. The front will usually start to cup long before the tread wears off.

I put a set of new Metzelers on my VT1100, and since they didn't have a touring series for the front rim size, I had to go to a sport tire, 2 ranges softer on the front.

I loved it. Lots more traction on the front, and it actually wore out at about the same time as the rear, with no cupping.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

cupping?
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

originaly posted by pac00t
            They look almost new. Tread is certainly fine, but I'm wondering about the age... are they safe?
            MC tires have a date code stamped on em.
            Small smooth area about 1/4 X 1 inch.
            Think first two numbers are the week and then year.

MC tires usually have the center rubber (touches ground in straight line) a little harder and sides a little softer for better traction on turns. (Rubber can harden in as little as 5 years making tires unsafe)

Had a set of old tires on 80G when I first got it. Rode em for about 4K miles. Just thought what a crappy handling bike XS'es were. Had to be real careful not to crank throttle too much in turns in 2nd and third. Rear tire would slide out and down you go. Stopping sucked too. Followed grooves in the pavement with no help from me.

Finally put on a new set of cheep continentals. Would not have believed difference had someone told me before. While XS'es are not the best handling bikes, new tires verses good/new looking old ones changed handling dramatically. Much safer ride now and much more confidence in the XS.

mro

Comment

don't get tired of your tires

mine are at least 10 + years old, k491 elite dunlops and have seen 115+ on them, , they in my opinion have a high load capacity with my 135lbs and now naked bike i think the over build that went into the tires offsets the age, plus someone told me here that tires rearly blow out they just lose air fast,

the bike was stored in a garage with no uv rays from the sun, as per p o, the rears look new and the fronts do have a little cracking from what appears to be the bike sittin on a flat-ish tire, im not afraid, i am running an old tire experiment and you should too, see who's blows out first
              Last edited by mason79; 09-09-2006, 03:33 PM.
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

When parkng on concrete or any other surface for long periods of time, I have some old wood paneling and carpet that I park on that really prevents the tires from rotting. I have found on many sets of old tires left on cement still will rot, not as much as outside, but enough to notice afer a few years. THen I have some others tires that I have had In my shed with a wooden floor, and they still look realatively new, even though they are somewhere between 10-15 yrs old.
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

i must agree with czekus21 on this one. 4-5 years at max then change them. Its not worth the chance that one will put you on the ground. Besides, I notice that handling diminishes markedly after that amount of time. Compound probably starts to harden up.
                  Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

This is true. The only reason I live on the dangerous side is $$$$. I have to spend my money on things like $65 headligt relays and $200 carb intake boots from the dealer(I won't go to the dealer any more, that was a mistake), etc....... Once my bike is completely done, and $75 insurance is paid, then I will get a new set of Brigstones. My dad has run much older tires for much longer, but he never had any real problems. I know I will not be taking these tires on any long hauls, so maby I will be ok for a few months.
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

On a blownout front you should relax and hold the handlebars lightly but firmly, just in case the bike starts wobbling. Gradually slow down with the back brake, they ride O.K. on the rims, I've had a blownout front tyre at 60mph and didn't come to grief. BTW the tyre has to be down to the canvas to blow up.

Comment

thats good to know
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

On the other hand, if you find yourself coming to grief with a blownout front tyre and maybe heading for the underneath of an oncoming truck, don't blame me.

Comment

Hey Hobbyman,

When my bike's tranny(1st and 2nd gears) went out in 92, I parked it...outside on the grass! I had put on some Dunlop 491 Elites(didn't have the II's then), and I was going to get back to it soon, but didn't have the $$ for the shop, etc.. Time and life happened, and 8 years later I got it into my garage and rebuilt it. I drove it mostly around town that year in 2001, then summer of 2002 I went on a couple of rallies from Va. to Alexandria Bay, NY and back! Then to North Carolina and back. Then next year went to little Grand Canyon, PA and back, and then to Suches, Ga.. I had run the tight twisties in N. Carolina, did okay, but the profile of the rear was getting rather squared off, make holding the line in a turn tricky, not to mention having the rear break loose on hard downshifts and such!!

In Ga., it was noted that the tire was actually BALD down the center after driving 700 miles from Va. to Ga.! So...went and found a bike shop that Sat. am, dropped the wheel there in their parking lot, had it changed and back on by 8:15, back to the camp in time for breakfast and the pre-ride meeting, and then the ride. Like MRO said, was as different as night and day in how it handled!! Good luck, hope they last long enough for you to get the $$ to get some good new ones!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Get New Soon

I’m with TC on this one. Mine was parked on the grass by the PO for about 2 years before I got it. The Elete IIs that are still on it now have about 2000 miles on them since I got it back on the street last March. The tread looked good and no checking in the side walls back then. It seemed like they looked good one day and then after a long ride I checked them again. Squired off rear tire and started to show signs of cupping. The tread is going down really fast. Another thing I noticed is the rear is a lot less sticky than it was 6 months ago. Hard stops are now imposable as the rear locks up almost immediately. Bucks were a factor as to why I didn’t change them out before. I’m planning for (read as saving up) for a matched set of Elete IIIs. I’m really looking forward to having the bike feel more stable and ride smother. Cupping is now so bad that I can feel the vibration pushing it across the garage floor!
                              wingnut
                              81 SH (Daily Ride)
                              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X