Shock advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock advice

I need to replace the rear shocks on my 78E. Does anyone have a reccomendation. I have hard bags and a trunk and sometimes ride 2 up. I am working on a budget so I can't put a lot of money into this project. Thanks
    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Check the price of Progressive shocks on this site. http://www.mawonline.com/ .
    I got the front springs from them, and only $64.00 delivered. I think the price on the shocks are good as well. Be sure to get the "heavy", 120 /190 springs on the shocks, as they will give a good ride, and not bottom.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Other Shocking Choices!

SHOCK ABSORBERS at PartsnMore
      Fits: XS1100S (78-81) All Models.
      Mounting Eye Center to Mounting Eye Center is 12 3/4 inches (325mm).
      High Quality Replacements
      Black, classic type shock body with 4 position spring pre-load adjustment. Progressive heavy duty chrome springs. Bushings, Inserts, washers, and spring preload wrench included.

$75.00US /Set

Part#06-3607
      MikesXS has them in same style:$79.00

as well as all chrome for $69.00

Or chrome with chrome top caps:$89.00

Both provide free shipping over $35.00 order. I got the same thing from JCW 5 years ago. I'm 225, my mom also that much or a bit more, we rode 2 up in NY thru some fun twisties. Had them set to full preload, I think it might have bottomed out on one really bad bump, but rides fine otherwise. So...if your budget is really tight, these will work vs. the Progressive!

And MikesXS has several lengths more or less than stock 12.75 size, so you could possibly lower it a little if needed!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Shocks from a v-max were suggested a while back.
        Got a set.
        They are great for solo, but they are too soft for two-up, they tend to bottom out and the bike sits too low. I scrape everything even in mild twisties. Gets scary if the road is bumpy.
        But for solo.... they work really well.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
        X