Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiseco Big Bore/Oil Cooler/Carbs?

Hello to all,
    I am a newbie member but no stanger to the xs1100. I have been riding xs1100's for the past ten years. My first was a 78 Macho Maroon, which I regret selling and currently ride a 79 Standard. My current bike has Accel coils, 4 into 1 Kerker, K&N air filter in the stock airbox, pick-up coil fix and the fuse box fix. It runs good, but is leaking from the head gasket, base gasket and cam tensioner.
    To the point. I want to put a Wiseco 1196 big bore kit in this winter to freshen up the top end and reseal the engine. I have a parts cylinder that I will bore and have ready to mount when I take the top end apart. I have aquired a 1980 Special carb that I plan to dyna-jet. I also have purchased an oil cooler kit on Ebay that was off a 1980 xs1100. It is the adapter type that fits in between the oil filter housing and the engine.
    Questions. Is the 1196 big bore kit worth doing? Do I need an oil cooler if I go with the big bore kit? Will the oil cooler adapter fit with the Kerker 4 into 1(I have not recieved the oil cooler and I have my doubts)? Will the 1980 Special carbs work with my bike? Finally, I plan to ride this bike forever. Thanks, Papanovember.

Welcome to the site. The oil cooler is a great idea with a big bore. I don't have a kirker, but my cooler fits fine with my 4-1.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey PapaNovember,

The oil cooler plate is about 1" thick, but I've heard that the KERKER 4-1 fits very tight directly under the oil filter, and folks have to drop the headers to change the oil/filter! Plus being able to run/route the cooling lines forward around the pipes!?

As for your leaks, rare to leak from the actual HEAD gasket area, more likely from the valve cover and half moons, and then dribbling down the head bolts to the base. The cam chain adjuster is relatively easy to fix, it's either the base gasket, the rubber plug, or the O-ring around the locking nut/bolt!

What's your compression values, is it burning lots of oil? Miles?

Also, where you at?? Unless you live in the southern extreme states like ARIZONA or such, oil cooler isn't necessarily needed with a big bore. If you are just wanting to "freshen" up the motor, then you could do the 1179 "little" big bore, doesn't make the cylinders as thin, not as hot as the 1196.

Your 79 carbs are more tunable than the 80's, but, yes, the 80 carbs will work just fine. I thought I read that Dyna-Jet was not supporting the XS11's anymore?

Welcome to the watering hole!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes, I am burning oil. I add about a quart every 500 miles or so. And yes, It is leaking from the valve cover gasket and the cam, but not totally sure about the head gasket. I live in Basalt, CO and often take trips into Arizona and New Mexico. As for the carbs, I noticed some "screws" missing from the 1980 carbs. The area on my 79 carbs had screws and the 1980 ones were plugged. Also, the float bowls were different. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Not really missing a screw, just hidden!

The 80 carbs PILOT SCREWS are down inside the tower on the top front of the carbs, UNDER those caps, you'll need to remove the caps to be able clean the pilot circuit properly, and then adjust the pilot screws. I'll try to find the post I did a while back describing how to remove them! Be careful, there are little washers and rubber O-rings down in there below the pilot screws!

I have the 1179 kit, live in Va.. Not nearly as hot as where you are, but we do get stop and go traffic probably a bit more than you! As long as you're moving a bit, the engine can cool itself adequately.

That's great that you've got the spare cylinders to match bore. WHen I did mine, I didn't split the cases, just put the new pistons on the old rods. You will still need to do the head work though, replacing the valve seals, and at least lapping the valves and seats(what I did) has worked just fine for 5 years now!

How's the 2nd gear behaving? Any jumping out of gear? If so, you'll want to check out the tech tips...good idea anyways, scroll down the MAIN FORUM PAGE, not just the yellow column on the left. Since you'll have the engine down, not much more to flip it over and do the tranny, and might as well do the clutch/springs, extra steel mod to handle the extra power!
          Good Luck!
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Thanks again T.C.,
            The carbs I planned on sending to Merriam Cycle. I'm sure you all know Bob Jones. They do the dyna-jet kit there. Little on the pricey side though.
            I also must mention my bike is set up for touring. It has a Vetter Windjammer and aluminum saddle bags(boxes) that I made. I do not plan on racing this machine. I only planned on cleaning up the head and attaching the pistons to the existing rods.
            As for the tranny, were you referring to back-cutting the gears? I have no problem with second gear if shifting smoothly. Also, I plan on replacing the clutch, any suggestions on what aftermarket kit?
            Thanks, PapaNovember

Comment

I don't have to remove the 4-1 to drain the oil but you do have to lower it a little. If you loosen the exhaust nuts, you can drain the oil by cutting up a soda bottle and use it as a custon funnel.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I would put in the 1179 kit as TC said, and not worry about the oil cooler. I have Kirker headers on my daily ride, and DO NOT have the room to add the cooler. I probably could, but then I WOULD have to drop the headers every time I did an oil change. I would also stick with the stock carbs, and NOT send them out. If they work well now, they will work with the big bore kit.
                Just my 2 cents....
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

kerker

on my XJ with kerker 4-1 i HAD to drop them for oil change and a cooler WOULD NOT FIT. the top of the pipe was about 1/4 inch from touching the stock oil filter housing.
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

question about Kerkers

Hey DiverRay or Chevy,

What's the distance in inches between your #2 and 3 header pipes down where they run under the oil filter cover?? If it's about 3", and centered around the filter bolt, then there's room to use the SOFA and a spin on filter, but the key is the gap size!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

TC, The gap is about 1/2", as all the pipes meet close to that position. I can just get the stock filter out, once I have it turned on it's side. The oil does burn off the pipes in a hurry, though....
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I also must mention my bike is set up for touring. It has a Vetter Windjammer and aluminum saddle bags(boxes) that I made.
                        Hey Papa,

I thought I had the only REDNECK Saddlebags around?

"You might be an XS11 Redneck if you have saddlebags made out of diamond plate toolboxes!"
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

I don't want to see either one of you riding around with a cowboy hat on!!!
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

TC...definitely redneck.

If you lower the boxes some more....you wouldn't need a side stand.
                            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Mario Bros.........

Why does Mario Brothers come to mind every time I see that pic?

mro

Comment

Working...
                              X