Hanging rear brake lever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging rear brake lever...

I searched for this and couldn't find anything. I went to a buddy's house the other night, and the rear brake worked fine. When I went to leave, it would barely move at all. No warning.... that fast. It takes probably around 200 pounds of force to move it.... then I have to try to pull it back up. I tried a penetrating oil and tapping on it for a while... then more oil, but no good. I now have it somewhat apart in my shop with the footpeg bracket removed (Along with the rear motor mount) and I took out the master cylinder to make sure that wasn't the culprit.
    I am looking at an exploded view of the shaft in my book that the brake lever attaches to and goes through a hole in the frame. I see the screw that keeps it from going in or out that I must remove, but the spring on the back looks pretty substantial. Is there a trick to getting this shaft back in and the spring where it needs to be? In the book it shows a "Grease here" on that shaft.... assuming that's what the problem is. Clean and grease. Any help or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Tod, I have NOT worked on the Maxim brake, but on my standard, If it was "stuck", I would use a MAP or propane tourch to heat the shaft, and then squirt oil into it. Once you get it apart, clean well. use a little emory cloth to make sure the parts fit correctly. I use synthetic grease on all my parts, as it's water resistant and has a high melting point.
    On the standard, the mount it part of the aluminum footpeg mount.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Just dive into it, Tod. You'll need a fairly substantial pair of long handled pliers to yank the spring off, then to put it back on again. You'll want to by laying on your back on the right side of the bike, feet forward, bike leaned over on sidestand. Once you get it apart, try wrapping a bit of fine wetordry sandpaper or emory cloth around a dowel to burnish all the cr@p off of the inside of the mounting hole. Lube it up nicely when you put it back together and you should be set for another 25 years.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

What Ken and Ray said,

and I used dielectric grease to lube up the lever shaft - works good for electrical connectiions and also brake parts (used to use it on caliper pins at the car dealership) - it is also water resistant.
        Mine wasnt as stuck as yours, but seems some good penetrating oil such as PB Blaster, and working it back and forth should free it up enough to get it out, and then clean, lube and reassemble.
        Good luck.
        '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
        X