Anyone here rebuilt a final drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here rebuilt a final drive?

So I have a spare final drive just sitting in my garage. I was thinking it would look really cool if I had it chromed this winter but in order to do that I would need to to take the entire thing apart to have it chromed and essentially rebuild it. I've seen guys do this on cars before where they put some grease on the splines and look for a half-moon shape when they turn the input. Is it the same for our bikes?

I don't know, maybe it's out of my league but it would be a cool winter project.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

If you put all the original parts back in their original location, you should not have a problem. I took one apart to powder coat the housing. It is still in service and working fine (50+k miles ago).
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Torquing ritual

Top Cat emailed me a detailed procedure on re-torqueing the pinion drive nut. I did find out that the pinion can be tightened too much and it's bearing will faill very quickly....I was just about to post my POLISHED final drive for sale. If you are going to chrome I would do this first or you'll have pits from the casting process protruding...
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Sorry

I meant to reply to akmac's Final Drive Chroming Thread....
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

You could just have a crane come out and dip the whole bike in a vat of chrome You're well on your way!

I bet it will look nice though. There ins't a thing wrong with more chrome!!!
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Hmm, XSchop I would be very interested in your polished final drive if you decide to sell it! I can assure you it will go to a good home! PM or email me if you still have it. Also, how hard was that to polish? The casting is pretty ruff and it seems to me that it would take forever to smooth it out.

JWSanders - yeah it's kind of an addiction. This winter I want to rechrome the fenders, replace the crash bars (the PO layed it down many moons ago ), chrome the starter cover and bearing cover, chrome the carb float bowls and diaphragm covers, and do something with the front calipers. I would also like to do the rear caliper and bracket but that can wait.

I also have to do the 2nd gear fix. Oh well there's worse things I can be doing!
            1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

Polished FD

Hey mac, check your email.....I personally have never seen a chromed Fd on an xs, I hope you become the first...chop
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
              X