King and Queen seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King and Queen seat

Wondering what companies make these for an 80 xs1100 special I have only found the one from Saddleman. Any one with experience on the Saddleman seat or other brands?
    80 XS1100LG

anyone?
    80 XS1100LG

Comment

Hey Crew,

When you say King/Queen, are you talking about the kind that has the real high back rest ~ 1 foot or so in length that runs up the back of the passenger section and fits against a very high sissy bar? Or are you talking about just a modest pair of buckets with a slight rise for the passenger vs. the driver?

JCW sells the TRAVELCADE brand, both just a cushion/cover repair type, or the entire seat with fiberglass pan, that will fit the 80-81 series of specials, I have one on mine cause my pan was a bucket of rust!

However, I don't recommend it much, I'm kinda tall, and it seems to jam me up against the gastank, and the cushion is not very comfy either. IIRC, I had to transplant the mounting hardware and rubber bumpers from my old seat onto the JCW one!

I would look into having a custom one made now if I had to do it again, now that I know a little bit more than I did a few years ago!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Something like the double bucket in the second pic. I am looking for something moderately priced. No $4-500 budget to spend. The one from saddleman is full seat and pan for the earlier models but for the 80-81 is just foam and cover for about $120. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with them.
        80 XS1100LG

Comment

I tried the Saddlemen K/Q replacement foam and cover and definitely do not recommend it. There is absolutely no side support and the foam is way too soft. The first time I mounted the bike I almost fell off on the other side! I couldn't replace it fast enough. You are better off buying a quality seat off e-bay and recovering it if you have to.
          If you are going to this style to make 2-up riding more comfortable then by all means find a nice 2 seater. If you do most of your riding solo, you can't beat the bench for overall comfort.
          Mark STanton
          78XS11e

Comment

Hey TopCat that second pic is the one from JCW? Would you happen to have any other pics. I am a little shorter and the stock seat seems like I am a couple inches too far back if scoot back to the step in the seat. The only ones I can find on JCW look just like the saddleman seats.
            80 XS1100LG

Comment

You want photos!

Hey Crew,

You asked for it!

These are from several different years, and mods, but wanted to provide you with as many angles as I could. I'm 6'6" tall, so you can see how I make the XS11 look more like a minibike when I'm sitting on it!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

So other than it scooting you forward slightly how does it feel in the bucket support? Is that the one JCW has for about $200? I like that a lot seems like it would be a lot more comfortable than the stock style seat for me.
                80 XS1100LG

Comment

Crew,

That IS the JCW seat. The foam is a tad stiffer than the OEM IIRC, but the bucket does support the butt all around, and with it's slope, it will probably help keep you a bit more forward than the flat OEM style!

Do you have the Original 80 pan and hardware? Is the pan in good shape? I might be willing to trade you mine for your OEM pan/seat!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

I was also wondering about the Saddleman's cushion and cover kit, but for a different reason. This kit seems lower than a stock seat height. If it is, I think it would be worth the money, from a consumer standpoint (a 5'9" consumer that is.) If anyone out there can help, I would appreciate it. Thanx, Brian

Comment

I have the origional seat. The pan is in decent shape with 1 or 2 small rust holes but good overall. The foam is good but the PO put just a cheap piece of vinyl over it, not an actual seat cover. I can get pics if you would like, and would be interested in a trade if one could be worked out. I am using it as daily transportation though and wouldn't be able to send the seat until I receive one to replace it. PM or e-mail me at davismonty@cox.net if you would like to try and work something out, and I'll get some pics tomorrow.
                      80 XS1100LG

Comment

I had a seat like TC's on my bike when I bought it. I hated it in every way. I'm almost an inch and a half shorter than TC.

I tried the seat on a three day road trip and to me, it was horrible. SARGENT made me a seat close in shape to stock 1980 Special. I'm well pleased with it.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Newbe slipping in???

Hi MotorCityHTPS,

got an XS???
                          year/model???
                          any pics???
                          what seat you got now???

not that I'm nosy, well maybe a little

mro
                          btw, welcome to XS land

Comment

Hey Mike,

His Profile says an 81SH, great machine!!
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

I'm tall as well. I bought a very nice seat from Bob Jones last Summer. It's comfortable, but after about 50 miles, my legs need to stretch out. I have plans to rework an old seat pan into a solo seat to accomodate my 35" inseam. The metalwork, gel insert and foam all seem doable. All that will remain, after I do my part, is to find someone to cover it with quality leather at a price that won't break the bank. Any ideas out there? Burl
                              '79 XS Eleven Special
                              "Dirty White Boy"
                              "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

Working...
                              X