Engine Gaurd Pegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Gaurd Pegs

I want to take some good long rides to become familiar with my bike. Riding is still new to me. I am looking for some pegs for the engine gaurds so I can stretch out if I need to. Is this a good idea? I have yet to see an XJ1100 with the pegs. I got the idea from HD's. I see bikes with the pegs, and I think it would be worth it.

Please let me know if anybody has these pegs already, and what you think.
    If you have some pics, please post them, or send them to Galle_J@hotmail.com with the subject XS/XJ Pics.

Thanks, Justin
    Yes
    80.00%
    No
    20.00%
    Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

I have a set of footrests mounted the the engine guards on my XJ. Pros and cons:

Pros: Gives alternate foot position, needed on long trips. I use them often. To be honest, I more often use them as support for my legs as I stretch them out over the top of the pegs. Also changes the angle of your butt on the seat, nice change once in a while as well, though it tends to put a bit more pressure on the back of the butt as your knees are up a bit from the stock footpeg locations.

Cons:
    More vibration than stock foot rests. Makes the bike a bit wider. More to clean after a long ride.

Mine are a 'mini-floorboard' style, a flat rest instead of a round peg. Got them from eBay, similar to current item

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1856771045

(watch the line wrap)

I can take a photo of my XJ's install if you like. Have been running the boards for about 2 years, would say they are a good addition for longer range riding.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I have a set of round O-ring foot pegs that I was going to list on ebay. Contact me at xs1137@yahoo.com if you are interested. (It was more comfortable to be able to stretch my legs out on them but decided that I like the minimal looks of a naked bike better)
      Robert
      79 SF

Comment

I like my stubby pegs from JCWhipme, saw them on Denny Z's bike a few years ago, yeah, just right...

They fold up nice too -

Don't know why those hex socket screws came out looking like brass rivets ??? but they are indeed hex (allen) screws.
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

i have the mini-board style as well. they worked great on the D-type crash bars. now, with the floorboards, i'm not completely sold, as they cover the toe end of the board. i kinda hate to get rid of them tho, as i've had them a long time. would kinda like a smaller set. as jerry said, they are a great alternative foot rest. i really dont like sticking my legs over them tho. i dont feel like i have control doing that.
          - dan
          - thinker57@lycos.com
          - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

I have a set of these (the rubber inset ones) from JC Whipme.

I like them but, as Jerry said, you have to rest your legs on them to stretch out which isnt a big deal, I do it all the time. I couldnt travel without them. When im traveling single, which is most of the time now that swmbo has her own bike, I have three to four foot postitions I can use, lay on the tank and use the passenger pegs, standard pegs, hiway pegs, and rest my legs of the hiway pegs.

My biggest problem is when I use the hiway pegs my legs tend to push in on my fairing lowers. I have already had to repair them once because of a break at one of the bolts. I want to find a way to mount my pegs further out from the bike. This will make the bike a bit wider but I can fold them up if need be.
            [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
            [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
            The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

All this talk about Highway pegs is making me want to try them on my XS11. Does anyone have a line on Engine guards for a '79?
              1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Comment

Note there are two style guards, the "2-point' and "3-point". Photo from Mike Hart shows the 2-point; I have the 3-point style on the XJ. (WILLL get a couple photos this weekend, quit my 2nd job yesterday and may finally get some time.)

3-point has an extra loop that covers a bit more of the side covers. As far as fitment, I believe all XS guards are interchangeable. Price new isn't bad, check Merriam Cycle, think around $90.00 for the 3-point. Pootpegs will fit either style in just about the same places, no big deal.

The XS guards I put on my XJ had to have a notch cut in one guard pipe to clear the exhaust (right side) so not all styles will fit straight on. However, other XJ owners have not reported this problem, so it may be just the used unit I picked up.

Concerning the loss of control...yes, I felt that way as well, and it still takes some time to move my legs down to the stock footpegs, so is a valid point. However, I do a lot of superslab traveling - usually due to lack of time, I prefer back roads - and so far the benefits of less fatigue and better leg circulation have outweighed the slight loss of control. Like anything else, you have to practice manuvering until it starts feeling natural, takes some time.

If you add the footpegs, spend the few extra dollars to get the O-ring or rubber insert type. My first set, solid metal, vibrated to much and discouraged their use. Looked neat, with Yamaha name cast into them...

Have not tried the O-ring style, so can't say if they or insert are significantly different in vibration danpening.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

There's a set of the three point guards on Ebay just now from a boneyard in Kelowna, BC. I bought a set off of him a couple of years back, had them de-chromed, then painted black for installing on Black Ice I've thought about installing highway pegs too, but I just don't think they would look right in this installation.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

In all those replies I didnt see anyone else who had my favorite, the Kuryakyn Iso-wings with the offsets. They allow you to set the pegs as near or far as you can. 360-degree rotation means you can get them perfect. I have them on both my bikes, they are several thousand miles and going strong, and SOOO worth the extra money!
                    Hi, how is everyone? Vacation was awesome, being back sucks!
                    carolyne

Comment

i have looked at those pegs, carolyne... very nice, but waaaaaaay too much money!

i DID take yer advice on the throttle rocker, but i made my own. they're great!

have you only just now signed up to the forum?
                      - dan
                      - thinker57@lycos.com
                      - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Yeah, they are spendy but all the other pegs I have used with those U-clamp thingys wouldnt hold tight no matter how I reefed on em. These I have no trouble with and they are verwy verwy comfotable...
                        Nah, I signed on a while ago but not being as fast as all you hi-tech guys, I am taking my time. (read- I'm slow, and I hate change! LOL ) (I have been known to kill a computer within 2 hours, and I dont even know what I did... ) I have a hard time getting used to a new format, heck it took me a year to figure out Yahoo groups... this thing has so many bells and whistles I will be at it forever...
                        Besides I went on vacation for 2 weeks and I want to go back and ride highway 1 in Cali again! dont wanna work-- I have 2 weeks of 6, 10 hour days looking at me right now while the boss is gone... oh well, I WILL make the Oyster Run, anyway! (Anacortes, WA, last sunday in Sept every year)
                        Ride safe, ride often!
                        Carolyne

Comment

Bikemaster makes a set that has a black rubber strip for your feet. They look good and work good. They are about 20.00 at your favorite bike shoppe.

Originally posted by T1ny
                          All this talk about Highway pegs is making me want to try them on my XS11. Does anyone have a line on Engine guards for a '79?
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have the flat 'floorboard' style pegs monted to my tiny 2 point engine guards. I like them a lot better than the cheap metal oes that were on it. Best picture I could find
                            Gary Granger
                            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

HIGHWAY PEGS

Hi Everybody,
                              I have a BRAND NEW SET of "Engine Case Guards" if anybody is interested.

The "label" says "3 point Super Case Guards- Chrome with footpads"

FITS: Yamaha XS 1100 S, L, Venture, STD., MAXIM '78- '82
                              They are BRAND NEW !! never having been "touched" or "mounted"

I grabbed them in a trade...and will sell them for a "fair price"
                              to another X-SIVE Person
                              Just E-ME at kitslind@aol.com and we'll go from there!
                              I can, and will send photos if requested

"Just remember, If you're not a head...you're a behind"
                              (or sumptin' like that anyway)
                              MO-N-STEVE
                              '79 SF "MO's Missile"
                              '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
                              '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
                              '80 SG "The BEAST"
                              '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
                              '81 SH "The NEW KID"
                              '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

Working...
                              X