Webber carbs for your XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the topic!

After closing scrutiny of the pictures, and the Ebay Listing, they should be able to fit an XS11, even in America since the guy says "GLOBAL" shipping!

The linkage between the two pairs looks very adjustable, and although the angle of the intakes when all four are paired together like in one full bank of carbs looks too Xtreme to match the head, I think they are designed to fit slightly angled apart, and the linkage can then be adjusted to work across the larger gap between the two pair. The angle of the intake mounts for each pair separately looks like it should bolt right up to the head, just not perfectly straight across for both pairs.

Hey Gene/GNEPIG, is that what you had originally thought, that they wouldn't fit properly due to the intake angles as presented in the photos??
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ships to
      Worldwide
      Shipping Cost Services Available Available to
      GBP 15.00 Seller's Standard Rate United Kingdom only

"Available to United Kingdom only"
      ..oops, this is the part that i saw, didnt see the ships world wide part, kind of contradictary ain't it?
      sorry everybody, i was just messin with Dan, he seemed kind of easy to get goin in the other thread, thought i would try again.
      ..Dan, TC, everybody, those carbs will fit and work on an XS11.
      i was under the assumption that they will only be sold in the UK, that is the only reason i said they would not work on a bike here.
      ..yeah Dan, this is just for entertainment and we learn stuff too. no one here is out to intentionally mislead anyone or cause them harm, everyone is just tryin to help and enjoy each others company too. you will be amazed at how well everyone works together here and we welcome your knowlage and help here also.
      ..and just in case i haven't said it enough here yet, i most definetly do not know it all. i have learned butt loads of stuff by reading from this web site, that i use everyday at work. i'm proud of how well everyone here shares there knowlage and ideas[there have been some very good ideas thought up here!]and just like everyone else, i'm just tryin to help too.
      every day holds new learning experiences, i just hope i can remember them the next time i have the same problem.

wow
      look at all of those people who was backin me up!
      ..i feel so loved

Comment

..i feel so loved

Sorry GNEPIG,

while I like T and A,..........
        Don't think you have what I envision

mro
        Last edited by mro; 09-02-2006, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Where's the polished calipers? Now that's something my bike definitely needs!

Wait, maybe I could just have them chromed.
          1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

Those Webber carbs are too cool. I have a set on my CB 750 SOHC Dunstall and not only do they look great, they are very easily tuned ( one you learn about them, before you do, they are a real PITA).

Here a link to the bike, the carbs are on the 2nd page
            http://www.geocities.com/fischervint...eDunstall.html

Daniel

Comment

Here we go , 37mm CV flatslide downdraught carbs with RAM air system.(Pressurised airbox) Off a 2002 R6. Needless to say it'll take some messing to rig the XS11 with this setup, 37mm I.D. carb boots needed, thick radiator hose cut to shape maybe, could sit the carbs as sidedraught, that'll mean the floats need tweaking some, these 2002 carbs have all sorts of gadgets connected along with a twisty mess of hoses/clips/lines/connecters that go to who the hell knows where.. lucky there's R6 diagrams on the internet Could get the first RAM air XS11 up and running

Comment

Ram is not going to do much for an XS, or anything else under around 130mph
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yeah, and using the XS airbox would be easier to set up on the bike too... but if the XS is hitting 130mph, maybe there's a few more mph on tap with the RAM...

Comment

ZX9R ram air system tested at 2.6 hp increase per 10mb of intake air pressure.
                    70 mph intake pressure is 8mb.
                    80 mph - 10mb.
                    100 mph - 12mb.
                    110 mph 14 mb.
                    120 mph - 19mb. Showed an increase of 2.6 hp @ 80mph, and 5 hp at 120 mph... better than a slap round the ears anyway..

Comment

These R6 carbs,I've gotta split them down the middle and shim them out to closer match the XS ports, the butterfly shaft is the hassle for that, the boots - well it's gotta be neoprene petrol proof rubber, sussing it with radiator hose it's a 37mm I.D. X 44mm O.D - slipped inside a larger 44mm I.D hose. Maybe I can coat the inside with some sort of stuff, has to be precise cut at the angle with a perfect angle/length/shape

P.S. what a prick of a job to peel the rubber off the boot down to bare metal, even tried burning it off with petrol, no good, oxy torch would be better.

Comment

First things first = I am not an XS 11 expert and I dont want to start an argument. Again, I am not an expert. I'm just thinking out loud.
                        I dont think that you can get the downdrafts to perform as side drafts. The fuel level in the bowl(when mounted in the down draft position), if equaled (to have fuel available the the circuits in the float bowls and the down draft positions in the carb bodies) in the side draft position will most likely over flow and be too high in the bowl for the carb circuits to perform properly. The down drafts are specifically designed (with different float bowls and circuits) to perform only in the down draft position. When mounted in the side draft position and float set to a side draft level, the front part of the bowls may not have access to the fuel needed to perform properly.
                        I think it would be easier to modify a set of non C/V type carbs to fit your application. It is easier to modify a common throttle shaft type carbs (Mikuni VM, RS, Kiehin CR) to get the correct spacing than it is to modify 4 C/V type carbs )with individual throttle plates, that may need each linkage to the throttle plates modified to fit together.
                        Click on the link for a set of Mikuni 38 flat slides off a snowmobile that I modified to fit a Suzuki GT 750.I dont like C/V carbs and they were removed. The spacing needed to be modified to fit the GT and the with the common throttle shaft it was easy to redrill the holes in the shaft for that and make new mounting brackets for the new carb spacing.

http://www.geocities.com/fischervintagecycle/GT750.html

Just thinking out loud,
                        Daniel

Comment

Sorry to lead the discussion off topic. dgfischer, your handle looks really familiar. Are you on the KZR forum?
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Maybe I should ask, 'did you used to be'? I went and looked and the KZR member I was thinking of is no longer a member, but I think used to have an avatar of a wiener dog? Sorry to pry, I have horrible attacks of curiosity
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yup, that's me. I was on KZR for a while. When it changed to the "updated" forum, it lost its allure and it got boring. I spend most of my time at cyclemadness now.
                              My avatar is my dog wearing glasses. I havent figured out how to put it up here, that why its not up as my avatar.
                              Daniel

Comment

Yeah fisch, good looking waterbottle you've got there. I prefer CV carbs on road bikes myself, yep, the main question is whether those downdraft R6 carbs can operate as sidedraft, the carbs are very 'hi-tech', hell, they're even plumbed for water-cooling! Now the triangular float bowls seem to have a tricky and cunning design, when the carbs are turned 45 - 90 degrees, the fuel level 'swaps' over, but still opens/closes the float valve - which still remains adjustable - just from a different direction, and the fuel jets in the bowl still remain below the fuel level line.

Matching the carbs positions to the XS11 inlets is relatively easy, as it's only a few millimetres difference to tweak, and the carbs don't have brackets holding them together, just two long threaded rods - easy to replace and shim a few mm's outward. Also the XS11 ports would need cleaning up with a dremel to match the 37mm diameter intake. The stock 34mm carbs are still probably a better setup for low down torque/grunt, but 37mm should be pumping out big horses at top end. Making up boots to fit is the main drama...

Comment

Working...
                                X