Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest XS???.......... maybe

Back in June,
    Knewsom and I went to Reno and got a couple XS's from Doyle. As things have turned out I've got Doyles "highly modified" XS. It had been crashed, as well as a few other minor problems.

Well,....I got it running two weeks ago. Have put it back together simularly to how Doyle originally had it. Next is to decide how I would like it ......but for now here it is.

Been reading about lightening an XS, had plastic turns on it (pretty broken up so put some OEM's on it from my parts shelf.)
    Plastic head light bucket, after market muf/peg brackets, aluminum foot pegs and controls, 4/1 exhaust, rotors drilled, dyna coils, cafe type bars, lighter seat, no center stand etc.......... had to replace fuel tank, several dents on original which was painted with red color scheme.

You might have noticed gear shift, one up, four down.
    After market forks and Kona rear shocks.

To let it breath on the other end.........

_________
    Engine: 1196 big bore, crank lightened and engine balanced, head ported/polished etc., both ends, dyna coils, flat slide carbs, 4 into 1 exhaust (huge collector and even larger muff. Not sure about cams in it right now, but Doyle included a set he had done and also had the cam sprockets made adjustable..........Vac advance plugged. Just doesn't help with all the mods. Sure I'm leaving a few things out.

Have yet to get tags, so had only test run bike in my parking lot until today. Went out on the street, wound it up to just under 7K in first, easy shift into second and up to 7K agin. (will crank past 9500 easily)

Flat out will put a stock XS to shame and haven't even wound it out. Still need to fine tune carbs and try out the other cams Like being shot out of a cannon.

Think this maybe the fastest XS, short of a turbo.

mro

btw
    was not going to post until I could get it on a dyno, but short on funds for awhile, but plan to when I can.

Also put an 80G rear fender on it.
    Don't know what mod to clutch, but it sure makes my 80G feel like a weak sister......

mro

Comment

but short on funds for awhile, but plan to when I can.
      .. i could be over to your side of the world in a couple of days, how much did you say you wanted for it?

Comment

mro, The shop here has a dyno, $45 a run!!
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

posted by GNEPIG
          .. i could be over to your side of the world in a couple of days, how much did you say you wanted for it?
          I gota at least get a few decent rides out of it...........
          mmmm........maybe next year, or the year after

mro

Comment

Wicked mro, I'd love to give that thing a drag, those flatslides are shockers as they go on/off, I hate the seat, I've just got a 900F rear plastic tail for mine, also have an 18 inch XJ900 front wheel to play with. Back to that hot bike, a lightened crank and blueprinted motor, wow must have hot cams surely, forks weren't bent in the prang? Might get wobbly at speed?

Comment

Sweet. Love the carbs.

Get that thing to a dyno if you can.

Dan
              Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

Hot Cams?

originally posted by pggg
                wow must have hot cams surely, forks weren't bent in the prang? Might get wobbly at speed?
                Set I've got on shelf are just over 38mm tall (both).
                Bike set up for going in a straight line right now and your hunched over similar to a crotch rocket ridding it,.........
                oh.....it is a crotch rocket!!!

Would like to dyno it with the cams it has now, then later agin with the other set to see difference.

Would still just be tinkering with it if MAXIMAN hadn't got me excited about big bores, fancy exhausts and carbs. Sure don't look as sweet as MAXIMAN's ride but should be able to keep up with him.

Gota make it a little more user friendly then take it out for a run through all the gears.......

mro

Comment

thats alot of work!
                  its not even the same bike anymore

can you think of a way to weigh it?

does it still have the 10 lbs battery?
                  XJ 1100
                  XJ 550

Comment

thats alot of work!

Doyle did the original work. All I've done. Put the flat slide carbs back on after removing broken fuel/air needle, and a cleaning. Straighten frame (top left rear) misc. electrical, (head light worked), lowered triple trees about 1/2 inch, replaced front master cylinder and bleed brakes. replaced a few broken and missing parts which Doyle had included.

When time allows, think I will return it to a more stock look and riding position. (will be keeping the exhaust/engine same tho)

I put a regular battery in it along with the top part of battery bracket.

Have not weight it, but should be about 50 pounds lighter (guessing)

mro

Comment

awsome machine........have fun
                      82 XJ1100 Maxim
                      80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
                      Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
                      black on black

Comment

Stuck lic. plate on it from my 80G for a run on the street tonight.

Think MAXIMAN is sand bagging and is going to surprise a few XS'ers big time.

Warm up, and then easy strol on the street in front of shop. Turned around...... moving about 3K in first and went WTO
                        thought it was going to crap out one me.......then wham moved about 4 feet and front wheel came up. Surprised the $hit outa me and let off. Did it agin with a little restraint and blasted down the road, shifted at 8K into second with it cranked all the way and front wheel came up agin

So far have yet to get out of third. Can feel your skin pushed back from acceleration ( I might just be old and skin is loose tho) Need to go where I can really let her fly, street around shop just to short. Maybe Monday I'll go for an extended ride.

mro

Comment

Working...
                        X