Second Gear Spacer Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Gear Spacer Wrong?

You guys probably have hear about this but I did a site search and couldn't find anthing on it.

At http://www.merriamcycles.com/html/body_xseleven.html
    they say that there was a spacer, next to second gear, that was installed wrong at the factory and by putting this spacer on the other side of second gear you can fix the second gear problem.

Is there anything to this?

Thanks,
    #1 ’79 XS11 Special
    #2 ’79 XS11 Special
    '97 V-Max
    '01 Dyna T-Sport

Yes, this is true and several list.. er, make that FORUM members, have done this, myself included. Check http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/secondgearaddendum2.HTML for a small write up on Denny Zander's repair. Bob Jones (Merriam Cycle) is very knowledgable about the XS and doesn't think the second spacer that both Denny and I used is neccessary but I guess the final choice is up to you.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

I think I read somewhere or mailed a guy bout that.
      Anyway, if you plan to drag-race the bike, you should fix it, but it's really not necessary for ordinary mortals. He says he didn't change the spacer on his, and that's good enuff for me.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

The '2nd gear slip' has been estimated to show on on 10-15 percent of XS/XJ bikes, also on other Yamahas of around the same vintage. Two things can fix it, used alone or in combination.

Move the spacer to the other side of the gear. This is the 'standard' fix. This increases the engagement of the 'fingers' on one gear in the slots of the other. However, at least one person noted the gear could rub on the circlip that holds the gear in place. So, a modification of moving the washer is to add a 2nd washer on the side opposite the current washer, ending up with a washer on both sides of the gear. Trouble is this takes up room, and the gear needs to be cut for the 2nd washer. (Washer is about .040 in. thick.) Yamaha no longer sells the washer, so you need to get one out of a doner transmisssion. I had my gear cut for about $25.00 at a machine shop. Washer came out of a junked '79 standard. Don't have it in yet, winter project, but that's another story......

2nd item is to undercut the gear 'fingers'. This means putting a slight taper TOWARD THE GEAR on the fingers. The taper, about 1 - 2 degrees, pulls the gears tighter together, increasing the engagement. New gears, I am told, have this taper on them from the factory. Tkat, our resident professional machinist, HIGHLY RECOMMENDS putting the taper on the 'fingers' if you do any transmission work.

Best if you do both the spacer fix and taper the 'fingers' (also known as 'dogs') when you do the work. For added security, hunt up a 2nd spacer and have the gear cut (on the dog side) for the 2nd spacer. At least one person ground the gear face to make room for the 2nd spacer, but I prefered to have a pocket cut for mine.

Read the tips mentioned on fixing the gears, decide which method(s) you are gonhg to try, and get the work done. Your tranny will thank you....
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X