2up hic-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2up hic-up

Anyone have odd problems only when carrying a passenger? My bike runs great solo but add a passenger and about an hour into a ride I lose power like 2 cylinders just dropped out. At first when it happens, flicking the killswitch off and back on cures it instantly...... but only for a short while. Eventually, power falls off rapidly and the engine dies. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it fires right back up as strong as ever and I can ride for quite some time with no other issues. Never had this happen riding solo.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

"No weight jokes, please."

Had a bike in the shop last year that didn't like the guy's wife, either. Part of the wiring harness was routed under the seat, and with her sitting on the bike, the seat had worn away the insulation on the wiring and was grounding it against the frame.
    With our "Magic Box" located back to the rear, right below where her rear would be located, check the wiring and the connections.
    Take the seat off, and with it running, give everything a jiggle.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thats the first thing I checked. The tail light wiring was a mess. The PO had about 2' of extra wiring coiled up under the seat but the wiring to the "magic box" looked fine. I played with the wiring and plugs under the seat ...... even banged on the box itself and the bike never so much as skipped a beat.
      1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

Jeff,
        Look at the left side, "Tech Tips", for electrical. The boxes CAN have a "solder problem" that will kill the engine. You may just need to pull the cover on the box, and resolder all the connections. I would also look at the pickup coil wires. You are pulling harder with two up, and the vacume will be pulling the wires a little more. Do the check for "internal breaks" on the wires.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

.. ok, i'll be the one to ask, how much does she weigh?
          this is a strange one. but i have had simular problems on different bikes. i found the fall-over switch to be at falt on those.
          this might not be your problem but what the heyy, might want to check anyway.

Comment

Well....I'm 6' and 300lbs. She's about 140. Does the 78 Standard even have a tipover switch? The odd thing is that once it sits for a bit...... no further problems.
            1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

Probably not, but could it be squatting enough that the fuel isn't flowing?
              1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
              1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
              1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

Working...
              X