Idle mixure screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle mixure screw

I had quickly cleaned my carbs (XS1100F) set the float levels, and put them back on. But had a high Idle. So after reading all the info concerning the Idle mix screws, I pulled those little plastic caps off and pulled one out. You guessed it, it was broke, I pulled the other three, and all were broke. I used Ken Talbot's "Push Pin", and Bill Kingson's "Pick Trick," but only succeeded in getting three of them out. One will not budge, and worried about damaging the carb, I'm at a stand still. Is there some place I can get this fixed? I ordered replacement screws ($10.25 each) but need some additional guidance.

Thanks,
    Dupman

I'll tell you how I got a very stubborn, broken point out.

First of all, the push pin won't go into the jet hole very far without the size of the hole, stopping the push pin. And a push pin can make the size of the jet hole larger than it's suppose to be, even when the method works. Also, something with a "point", will often try to "go around" the broken-off tip.

Take an average, fair size, sewing needle; break it. (no point, now). Sewing needle doesn't bend; they break. That's what you want. For the flat, "square", sharp-edged, broken end.
    Needle piece needs to be about an inch long. To "check" to see if yer needle piece is going to be about "right" >> poke it up into the throat with a pair of needle nose pliers, and see if the broken blunt end of the needle is going to be about right to try to start its way into the tiny jet hole. Don't poke the needle eye end
    into the jet hole; yer gonna use the broken-sorta-flat-end.
    Get the "smallest" pair of "vise-grips" ready, and a piece of wood like a small hammer handle >> wooden dowel, etc.

Also, a good "test", to see if yer needle-piece is going to "probably be the 'right size' " >> get one of your carburetors, that the hole is open all the way through. When you look in it, you're seeing pinpoint of daylight at the other end of it, in the carburetor throat. From the throat side, put the needle-piece into the hole of the "good" carb; see if the needle-piece won't go all the way into the cleared jet hole. You don't want it to be a real sloppy fit. You want it to kinda fill up the hole; but can go all the way through.
    (Take yer time , and think yer way along)
    Assuming, you're feeling like the needle-piece, is correct for the job >> the needle-piece needs to be grasped "just right" with the small vice-grips >>holding the needle-piece cross-wise in the very end of the jaws of the vice-grips >> very carefully put the needle piece, held in end of vice-grips, up into the throat >> blunt end into the jet hole. (hole being aimed down) And, of course, when you're there; you can't get the needle-piece to go further, cuz the brass-broken-tip-piece is stopping it.
    Get your piece of wood; you should be able to tell if everything is being held at the proper angles. (Hard to 'splain this without pictures.) OK, yer holding the vice-grips, which is holding the needle-piece. Give the vice-grips a nice, fine, rap, with the wood.
    You want a hard, mean grip on the needle; or the vice-grips will slip. (which you do not want) . The broken-needle-end has to be snug against whatever is stopping it from going any further into the hole, when you rap the vice-grips.
    The broken, ragged, flat tip of the needle with its sharp edges, won't try to go "around" that soft brass.
    .....Should work...(?)
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Just a note on the broken mixture screws. Just in case you have difficulty finding new ones, they ARE repairable, with a bit of patience and a drill press. Clamp them in the chuck on the drill press and spin by hand to ensure that it is spinning true and not off center. Then turn the drill on slow speed and using a fine file, file a new point on the screw. Go slowly here as once you go too far, then they are finished. Finish with some fine emery cloth and it will work good as new.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Those white caps, how do they come off? Pry? Unscrew? I have never touched them, just wondering.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Those white caps, how do they come off? Pry? Unscrew? I have never touched them, just wondering.

The caps are made of plastic and you can either pry them off gently in the hopes that you might be able to put them back on. (Maybe, but not likely) Or just pry/break them off like most of us do. And, I believe some models even went so far as to have metal plugs pressed in on top of the mixture screws. These also come out with a little effort. Simply drill a small hole thru the cap and then thread a sheet metal screw into it and pull out with pliers.
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

To Oldnortonrider,

It worked! Thank you very much, I did have to use a dremel and clean the carb throat a little where I had buggered it up. Then I had a claer view of the brass tip, and followed your suggestion with the wood tapper. Thanks again.

To xssiveone, I will keep my old screws, and will try your repair, hold them as spares. Thanks.

Dupman

Comment

That's good news that you didn't have to "waste" a carburetor.
              .....there are a "bunch of ways" you can scar up the throat of the
              carburetor, with that intricate bit of "mechanical art" surgery.

I figured , with yer deft poker dealer's touch, you'd git it out.
              JCarltonRiggs

Comment

I forgot about my profile, thanks anyway. Just for giggles, would I be able to get another carb for my bike (XS1100F) if I had really screwed it up. I had already begun looking, but didn't find anything. Is there an after market replacement, what should I be looking for?

I love this web site!!

Dupman

Comment

Those fine Mikuni carburetors are everywhere. M/C salvage yards.
                  Used on many other models of different Japanese scooters.
                  XS750's , ...........
                  Sometimes, you'll need to switch out the jets.
                  JCarltonRiggs

Comment

Working...
                  X