Miles Per Gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles Per Gallon

Iv'e had my XS11 for about two months. What type of gas millage are you getting? I like the bike very much, I just thought that the MPG would be better(it's better than my truck). About 25mpg.
    79 XS11

Completley stock 80G, 30+ around town, 40+ highway

Seems most get around 30 or better.

mro

Comment

33 to 34 commuting, about 35-36 on the road. Running rich at low end, I suspect float levels. Ithink once I get the gumption to tackle that, I might see a slight improvement.
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

MY stock80G (22,000 miles) get about 36-40mpg around town stop and go. On the highway, cruising with optimum conditions I get 45-50mpg. With a strong tailwind, light load and cool damp conditions I once got around 53mpg. I do not have a fairing or anything else.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Final drive ratio

I have just completed a final drive gear modification to my xs...I would not be afraid to say 50 mpg on the hiway with my 16 Inch wheel!
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Final drive ratio

Hi chop,

80G w/17" wheel is doing 70 mph at 5000 rpm.

What kinda RPM's is your mod pulling on the highway.

mro

Comment

It also really depends on the climate and your location. I normally cruise at night so there is lot of moisture in the air helping me out a little. Its not a water-methonal injected turbocharger but it helps a little. There are just too many variables in determinig mileage Not all gas is the same either. I have caught myself using a few adatives here and there to keep the gum from building up in the carbs. My dad and I used to have to rebuild our chevy 350 4barrel carb every year because of the stuff they put in gas now days. Also, I am no stranger to sea foam. It actually works on marine engines to
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

hiway rpm

Hi mro, I am now doing 3950 rpm at 70mph with the 16 inch wheel. She's sippin' the gas now.
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Hey rappin

When I first got my XS running, was getting about same as you. Found this site and retuned the carbs. MPG went to 30. Bike had sat for several years and I started putting just over 1000 miles per month on it. Several months later MPG had increased agin. Have had the carbs off 3 times in 12,000 miles.

May want to pull plugs. If real dark may be running a little rich. If carbs in good condition then lowering float 1 or 2 mm may help. (with carbs on bench, bowls off and setting with caliper there upside down so you would be "raising" them.) Vac sync agin too.

mro

xschop
                  you should post new thread with your mod, any pics???
                  Last edited by mro; 08-28-2006, 05:26 AM.

Comment

I have a 78E with stock exhaust and airbox. As far as can be seen the carbs are stock also. I have a Wind jammer fairing and trunk, and hard bags that are just used for trips.
                    I get a pretty consistant 35 to 37 mpg no matter what. Not what I was used to with my 650 seca 45mpg or my SR500 60+mpg but not to bad I guess.
                    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

final drive mod

I am still testing mine out...This thing is even more fun to drive now, another benefit is less shifting around town. And 4th gear roll on is wild...I'm waiting for my friends v-max to roll down I-35...It is too difficult to explain the mod (I hunt and peck the keyboard). But I am also working on a BOLT-ON KIT which includes a lengthened xs11 driveshaft (and new gears of course) I can't imagine what this thing would do with a big bore kit....I wish you guys would figure out the gsxr carb upgrade....Chop
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop - what did you do? What gears/drive did you use?

Comment

final drive

It is now a 2.9:1 ratio with a custom drive shaft. I am making another one as we speak....the final drive pinion is kinda tricky to reinstall, torque. Thanks to T.C. for sending me that info! I have worked literally weeks to get this down to a final setup....The driveshaft is key, you literally have to go through the bone yard to find the right kind of shaft that will mate to the xs11 u-joint and go to whatever drive pinion you have from the donor hub. I still am looking for a driveshaft that has***** 21 splines on the u-joint end and is between 10.5 to 10.8 inches exactly******. If I do find one like this, Then We have a true bolt on solution...I have been on e-bay the last week looking for the missing link, I think it's going to be the xv750 shaft, but still waiting for a reply as usual....BTW If you're ever in okc, look me up, lets go for a ride...you can test the bike out yourself...with all the power you have created you would definitly hold the land speed for an xs11....chop
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Not hard to lengthen or shorten a drive shaft

mro

Comment

drive shaft

It is inside the xs11's shaft housing!
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock