Head stud removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head stud removal

I'm trying to remove the cylinder head from my 79 XS11. It is loose in the back and along one side, but it sticking in the front. I am practically certain it is frozen on the stud that projects from the front of the head and I will need to remove or at least loosen the stud to get the head off. If there is room on the stud, I figure I can get it off with a double nut. My question - is the thread on this all standard or is it one of those studs that has an opposite thread on the end that screws into the head? In short, which way to I want to turn this thing? Turning it just a little may be enough to loosen it enough to remove the head, but I don't want to turn it the wrong way. My manual still hasn't arrived yet, so I don't have that resource to call on.

Thanks, y'all.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Patrick,
    It is threaded just like a bolt. Double nut and turn counter clockwise to remove. I would run a tap to clean threads, and reinstall with RED locktite.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks, Ray.
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Working...
      X