guru question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guru question

does anyone know what the torque is for the final drive pinion nut, I have looked everywhere....thanks chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

I think you're looking for 54 - 61 ft-lbs, BUT that goes with a fairly rigorous process for setting preload, which "is determined by turning the shaft with a torque wrench and measuring the resistance of the bearings to the rotation of the shaft". The preload is specified as 9 - 10 in-lbs. At the same time, you use a dial indicator and dial gauge to measure from the coupling shoulder to the drive pinion shoulder.

This is from the pdf scans RockJok includes in the XS-XJ Repair manual CD he put together a few years back. The full text and illustrations would be most useful.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

what?

Hey, I just applied my biceps torque to the pinion as I saw fit from triceps removal torque. It did seem that the pinion was a little more difficult to turn after reassembly...
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Hmm, that doesn't sound too promising. I don't have Rockjok's stuff available directly in web format, but drop me a PM with your regular e-mail address, and I'll forward the scans for the applicable 4 or 5 pages. I don't think you want to just wing it when it comes to pinion gears and such.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

thanks ken

I am not going to use this final drive for long anyhow, but still don't want to ruin this one...I will pm you...thanks
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

With pinions they have to contact evenly in the tooth centre and the backlash numbers engraved should match.

Comment

backlash numbers

What and where are the backlash numbers?.... I was reading also in a post someone was worried about the final drive being hot to the touch....I checked and mine is quite warm even from a 15 min ride to work, well I did hit 75mph up hill...I see why the later 1100 final drives have heat fins, I always thought they were for rigidity of the gear housing...
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

u-joint question also

I really need to know if a 3/8 inch spacer can be put between the u-joint and the middle gear mating surface WITHOUT causing the u-joint to hit the inside of the drive-shaft hosing? anybody know?
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop theres a bit of room in there, depends how much you move it, a U-joint with a grease nipple wont spin without clipping the inside, about setting backlash and bizarre stuff like that, all I know is those funny little figures engraved on the pinion parts are supposed to read the same as their opposite part. Adjusting backlash sounds like a bit of a nightmare to me.

Comment

thanks

Thanks pggg for your help. I am just going to reinstall the pinion nut and not crank down so hard. I figure it was hard removing it initially because it was put on at the factory 25 years ago...
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                    X