Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fork question

Greetings.

I recently purchased a set of front forks for my 1978 XS1100E on eBay. When they arrived I discovered air valves at the top. These are for a Special as far as I know. Before I get my micrometer out, will these fit my bike?

Thanks.

Dan.
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

There are aftermarket airfork kits available. Maybe someone added them. Also (I don't know if the fit but) They might be from a special.
    Are these standard or special forks? Quick way to tell is where the axle mounts. If the axle is on the very end of the forks then it is a standard. If the are mounted to the front (fork continues below the axle) then they are for a special.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

1980 G (standard) came with "air forks"
      I all so have a set of forks on a 80 frame which I think are made by Jordan Engineering which have air too.

mro

Comment

They're standard forks alright, looks like I got a bargain, perfect condition, no pitting in the chrome at all and air adjustable for US$31! Not too shabby..
        Automotive Imbecile.
        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Stral my GS1000 had air forks I pumped them up to 40 lbs by mistake at the petrol station as it only takes seconds to fill them to 10 or 12 lbs, those ones leaked air pressure after a few rides, those GS1000's tracked round corners and are planted to the road and way easier to ride than an XS1100

Comment

I know my XS1100 handles like a drunken pig on stilts but I love it. I also have a pair of NOS fork springs and fork seals so re-furbish them but I wonder if there's anything else I need to do seal wise because they're air forks. Any clues? And I don't see anywhere on them where you'd connect an equaliser hose like on air shocks (which I also have) so do you just pump them up individually? Do you think I'll still a fork brace?

On an entirely unrelated subject, I've got a set of factory exhausts. I'm currently running a four into one system. If I fit the four into two's, will I need to re-jet the carby's?
            Automotive Imbecile.
            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Yep wrestling a drunken pig on stilts round corners is good fun. On the swapping exhausts, changing jets isn't a 'Must Do' thing, bike usually runs pretty much the same, just a matter of riding it and feeling it out and checking the plugs at various speeds, fork brace can only be an improvement, someone else here will have the info on XS11/XJ air-fork specs

Comment

Yeah, thanks mate, that's what I thought. I might even just tweek the mixture a little if it starts to pop.

If you ever get to Oz, look me up, my number is 02 9877 6436 and I promise I won't make you watch my Bledisloe Cup tapes (Wallaby wins of course)

On the pressure equaliser thing for the front forks, I was thinking I could permanently attach a hose to each filler nipple and run them both to a T joint. I could even put a pressure gauge in after the T joint. Might look a bit messy though.

I was thinking of a name for my bike.

What do you think of 'The Pig'? Bit Harleyesque?

Thanks mate

Dan
                Automotive Imbecile.
                1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Dan,
                  If you go with the Progressive front fork springs, I think you will find the ride and handling MUCH improved. The fork brace is a MUST, on any bike. The newer bikes come with a brace, and the older ones like ours needs a Tkat brace.
                  NOS springs are nice, but they are not wound like the progressive springs. If you have the "heavy duty" NOS springs, then go ahead and use them. They did have the larger wire, and a differend wind. They came with the Yamaha "Full Dress Kit" here in the States.
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

originally posted by Stralya
                    On the pressure equaliser thing for the front forks, I was thinking I could permanently attach a hose to each filler nipple and run them both to a T joint. I could even put a pressure gauge in after the T joint. Might look a bit messy though.
                    been done,
                    may have read it in the tech tips section here, but could have been another site. Was going to do it to mine, but I must be getting a little lazy............

mro

Comment

Hey Ray,

The springs I have are allegedly 'heavy duty'. The thing is, they have exactly the same part number as 'regular' springs which makes me think that the only difference is the fact that "Heavy Duty' is printed on the box.

The part number is 3H7-23141-00

Dan.
                      Automotive Imbecile.
                      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

I can't get into the Yamaha parts page now, but I think you have the "standard" springs. If I remember, the "dress" springs were a -01 part number.
                        I would try for the progressive springs. I just picked up a pair for $61 US delivered.
                        I got them online from MAW, http://www.mawonline.com/.
                        Ray
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Oopsie

After turning on the lights and opening my eyes, the part number for the springs I have is 2H7-23141-00. Tha part number for the heavy duty springs is 2H7-23141-10-00.

So I have the standard springs. They are new and I've already paid for them so I'll use them. I think that in combination with the air adjustability, I should end up with a pretty servicable set up.

I'll be installing a vetter windjammer with cycle sound stereo system, I hope the springs will cope. If not, I'll have to go with Progressive springs.

I had a look at that site, what was the part number of the springs you ordered?

Thanks.

Dan.
                          Automotive Imbecile.
                          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Dan,
                            The progressive # is 11-1110. Just order the fork spring that ends in 1110 from MAW. With a fairing and radio, you WILL need the springs... I know, I had a windjammer on daily ride until last month. I just got a '78 pacifico "yamaha" touring fairing. The springs make a BIG difference.
                            Ray
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                            X