Clutch or cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch or cable?

Okay, this is a new one on me. If I am doing a lot of clutch work at low speeds (such slow, slow traffic) my clutch will "freeze" in the disengaged position. The clutch cable pops out a little from the clutch lever mount ( I think this is because there is no tension on it) and the bike freewheels, even though I am in gear. I stop, pop the clutch cover and with a screwdriver or other level, push the lever inside the case back down and I am fine.

What the H E Double Hockeysticks is the cause of this problem?
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Answer!!

Sounds like your clutch is out of adjustment. Follow the procedures in this link and you should be in good shape!!CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT Let me know if this fixes it!!!!
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Problem

The clutch operates on a set of rotating ramps that presses on clutch to release it. When it gets out of adjustment you hit the top of the ramps and the lever gets stuck there. So when you pry on it you cause the lever to rotate back on to the ramps so it will then return to the normal position. If you ever take one apart you will see how it works!!!
      Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

spring

is the little spring still on the arm when you remove the cover? could be stretched out and not putting preasure to bring the arm down?
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
        X