brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes

can someone tell me if its possible to disconnect the link between the rear and front brakes without affecting their individual performance? i live on a dirt road and just had a deer jump out in front of me. i hit the back brake which immediately locked up the front also and the bike went down. so now i'm looking at 2 new turnsignals and a new headlight. luckily i had on my leathers on so no damage there. thanks.

What bike do you have? As far as I know, XS's don't have linked brakes. Not sure about XJ.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

glad to hear you're ok - bummer 'bout the bike, but luckily, it sounds repairable.

I've never seen a link between the front and rear brakes on an XS before either - if it IS on an XJ, and removing the link causes you problems, I suppose you could try replacing your MC's with some from an XS??

Good luck man!
      Kristoffer
      "Take apart yer carbs!"
      1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
      1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

thanks guys.
        it's an '82 xj1100j and it does have linked brakes. i've only had this bike for about a month. when i took it in for a safety the back brake wasn't working so after bleeding the brakes and still no luck i ordered a rear mastercylinder kit. when the mechanic was checking it out he discovered the left front caliper piston was seized. once it was freed up the back brake worked great with no need of the cylinder kit. guess the smart thing to do is go back to the mechanic.

Comment

I too have to ride on gravel and dirt roads. I took the link out and changed to an XS style. You have to change both master cylinders, and remove the portioning valve.... now it works good. That is some wierd set up......do not know what the engineers were thinking that day?
          82 XJ1100 Maxim
          80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
          Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
          black on black

Comment

I would do the same thing! Unless I was handicapped, like no right foot, I would never go with linked brakes! There are some past posts/threads about it in here. Try using the search engine.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

thanks. i'll go to cycle salvage this week and get the parts along with my turn signals and headlight. i don't think the engineers were thinking that one through.

Comment

I still have a complete rear brake syatem for a xs1100. Every piece price includes shipping. $45.00 andreas

Comment

FYI,

The '81 LH (Midnight Special) also came with the same linked brakes as the XJ.

Took awhile, but now I've become so used to the linked brakes, I don't think I could ride without --- even had to perform the "stop test" for my mc license test twice as I keep stopping UNDER the minimum allowable distance

Comment

Working...
                  X