need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

I have an 82 1100 maxim it was popping out of second gear i replaced the shift forks moved the washer to the other side of second for i have better contact put it all back together and it fixed second but now the bike will take of a little slow and then with a pop it moves like it should fast anyone have any ideas thanks

Sounds like the clutch may be suspect here. Check the clutch springs, and the Star plate that compresses the springs.

Comment

everything looks ok it only does the popping in first gear

Comment

Hey LordSixPac,

I hope it's not what I think, but you may be in for another trip inside the tranny case!? Have you seen the tech tips, from the MAIN FORUM page, repairs, tranny? Many folks report problems with just their 2nd gear, but 2 XJ's and my 81SH all had a severe 1st gear problem that was just like the 2nd gear wear problem, and required the dremmel fix...not just a washer swap to fix it!

You say the engine pops? Are you feeling a stuttering like it's popping out of gear, or just that the engine stalls, pops like a small backfire or miss, and then catches and revs as usual?

Did you get all of the hoses and stuff back together, like the vacuum line to the vacuum sensor box beneath the gastank, which controls the vacuum advance curve in the TCI?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

the bike takes off but it feels like its lacking power then you hear a pop and feel it as well and the bike run great it only does it in first gear its like something is holding it but and then brakes free and i have taken the pan off and side cover to check the clutch everything looks ok it did not do this befor i missed with the tranny

Comment

Working...
          X