No announcement yet.

Dual inlet K&N filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick update on the K&N dual air filters. The part number is RC3510 and they fit and look beautiful. Order two, price is $57.00 total. (free delivery)
    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Hey TADracer,

I have been using the individual filters for years and they can be a real pain and it is not unusual for one to drop off.
      If you order the pod filters from here, www.aperaceparts.com , they are actually opened up to the same diameter that the throats of the carbs are, and they are a one piece unit molded to the rubber..... nothing to fall off unless your hose clamp comes loose. But there are 4 of them... more to clean than what is shown here! They are also a tad more expensive at 59.95.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

What is the difference in performace wit K&N pod air filters vS. K&N stock replacement?
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Stupid question, but did the dual inlet filters come with a charge kit. The link above for them never specifies.
          80 XS1100LG

Comment

Oil?

All K&N filters come precharged with oil and ready to use. You will need a service kit to recharge the filter when dirty. It includes a bottle of spray cleaner and an airosol spray bottle of filter charge oil. kit is Sold seperate not included with filters
            Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Okay I have never used one and just assumed they came dry and you had to charge them. wasn't sure if they came with the charge kit or not. So I shouldn't need anything until time to clean the filters. Thanks!
              80 XS1100LG

Comment

K&N

These filters make a big difference in intake noise. It sounds like the carbs are trying to suck the pants off your legs at WOT. It sounds cool but the ammount of sound created by not having the stock air box is amazing. I never thought the intake of an engine could make this much noise. Realy not complaining just amazed!!
                Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

What is the difference in performace wit K&N pod air filters vS. K&N stock replacement?
                  (IMHO) There is very little performance difference between the stock replacement K&N (with a drilled out air box) and individual K&Ns at the higher RPMs. It has been my experience that the stock air box (drilled) flows better at the low and midrange RPMs. Better seat of the pants power in the low end.

The velocity stacks of the stock air box organize the air through the carbs. This provides a better (more consistent) signal for fuel metering. I believe I get better fuel economy with no loss of power with the air box over individual filters. I found jetting to be much more difficult with the individual filters also.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

I have a stock K&N filter but have done no drilling. Just what should be done and is rejetting involved. My bike runs fine now, what noticeable improvement would I see if I did this.
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

laxdad,

If your bike runs fine, why mess with it. Or, are you interested in it running finer?

I have done a lot of XS modification to my ‘F’. I have always been amazed at how little difference there is in performance over a well tuned low mileage stock XS. My dad road a bone stock ‘F’ and although I could launch a little quicker and maybe have a little more top end, he was never far behind. We both got the same fuel mileage.

Drilling your air box may give you an improvement in mileage as you will be on the lean side. You might also notice a little bit of an improvement in off idle performance. You will pick up noticeable carb noise. The nice thing about the carb noise, usually only the ride hears it.

If you want more power from such a mod, jetting will need to be done. You will also need to have an exhaust system capable of taking advantage of more air coming in.

I hesitate to suggest any changes because it depends a lot on driving style, performance perceptions, and bike use. I am an experimenter, so I like getting in and changing things. Almost always, one modification leads to another.

I ended up with a 4:1 header, a low restriction can muffler, drilled air box with a K&N filter, 45 pilot jets, and 142.5 main jets. My XS ran very well and averaged 36 mpg.

Good luck,
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks for the info Dennyz.
                        Probably gonna leave it as is. I'm happy with it, but fiddling around with the bike all the time is good too!
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X