Axle holder stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle holder stud

Anyone know the specs on the front axle holder studs? Any tips on replacing a broken one? The rear one on mine is broken off flush with the face of the axle holder. There appears to be enough left to get it out hopefully. Are the threads going into the bottom of the fork leg regular or reverse thread?
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

They should be a 8mm stud. They are a standard thread, and you should be able to take the bad one out with vise grips, or the "stud removal tool", if you have one.
    I would try and heat the bottom of the fork a LITTLE with a propane tourch. This should help break the corrosion that may be around the stud.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Tighten 2 nuts to unscrew studs, for broken flush there's a tool that screws a special screw into the stud, the screwhead has a reverse thread in it, screwing a screw into that unscrews the stud.

Comment

pinch bolts

They are 8mm x 1.25 (((((NOT 8mm x 1.5)))))....You can do away with the stud all together and insert a socket-ALLEN head bolt....make sure you use anti-seize.....chop
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Thanks for the info. Time to take a quick trip out for a stud remover. I think I'll remove the good one and use the suggestion of ALLEN bolts. I believe there's a Fastenall shop here in town so I'll look em up and pay them a visit.
          1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

fastenal

That's the best source for the majority of the bolts to the xs11, especially stainless...chop
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

They've got em in both stainless and chrome but I have to buy in bulk lots. They won't sell individually.
              1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

fastenal

just returned from another trip to the local fastenal store....being as they do only sell in bulk, and each time i've been there i've been seeking a max of 4 items, the guys there opt to donate them to my bike rather then deal with sales slips and receipt paper work....can't say it doesn't pay to always be polite!

Comment

donations

Yes, fastenal has donated to my xs11 many o' times, But I know they were paid for in the other orders...chop
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                  X