Check This out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check This out

I wanted to try and find an easier way to fill the front forks with oil. Let me know what you think about this idea.

I fitted a grease fitting into the bleeder hole. The threads are a perfect fit. Now i just need to find a grease gun that I can pump oil with and how many pumps I will need to fill the forks.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein

You can measure the oil with the caps off, but then you wouldn't need the grease nipples...
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well i think that with the small grease gun that I have i will get about 3cc with every pump. So I am just going to count how many pumps to fill it and i should be able to drain and refill without ever taking the caps off. Even with the air forks I can fill the tubes with the air valve shut because of the pressure that the gun gives me.
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein

Comment

man i have 3 bikes and fork oil is the worst job i like the idea can you tell me hat kind of gun u are using and were can i git one????

Comment

One way.......
          after draining oil,
          remove forks
          measure proper amount oil
          (I use a baby bottle, has cc's on bottle)
          Lay a fork on work bench, elevate end with drain about one inch
          squirt oil into drain hole with a syringe

mro

Comment

i was wondering about how duan61 with the gun dos it so he dos not have to take it apart when you do three bikes it cuts into riding time if he has a better way i am all for that with all of the other stuff to do it would be a nice change

Comment

For some reason, I have never had a problem changing fork oil. My 80G only takes about 15 ~20 min. On the other 2 79F's it takes even less time. I take the caps off and everything. My trick is to place a round pipe and cloth on the top of the cap to push down and turn. Just a thought. Also, If you were doing a lot of forks at once, you could make an oil can with an air pump at the top. Then have a feed pipe from the bottom of the can out through the top to a grease fitting receptical. I have seen a similar system for changing lower unit oil on marine eingines.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Think I read in tech tips similar way to mine, but where guy attached hose to end of syringe and was able to squirt oil in to forks with out removing em....

mro

Comment

i want to play

.. OK, this one will only work on the air forks:
                  remove the shrader valve from the fork cap and put the hose that goes to your vacuum device here.
                  then plug a hose into the hole were the drain plug lives, with the other end resting in a cup of your favorite flavor of pre measured fork fluid.
                  draw a vacuum on the air pressure valve at the top of the fork cap and the fluid will be drawn into the fork tube.
                  remove the hose from the drain hole the very moment the last bit of oil is removed from the cup and put the drain plug in quickly, then release vacuum pressure.
                  if you use a vaccum tool that draws to much pressure, you may end up removing the oil right back out of the cap.

.. good luck on your mission men

Comment

Cool idea there GNEPIG

My vac brake bleeder should be able to do that.
                    May give it a try. Been meaning to change 80G's fork oil for a while but always seem to have other things to do first.

mro

Comment

Well boys my grease pump worked pretty well. I measured the amount of oil that I needed and then I dumped it into an upsidedown grease gun but keep in mind that it will not pump out 100% of the oil you put in so add a little extra. Also you will need to have a grease gun that has the rubber hose instead of the straight metal one. It helps to be able to hold the grease gun upside down as you have to take out the grease plunger assembly because it does no good when the gun is filled with oil; it needs to be gravity feed. Make sure your grease gun is perfectly clean for this or just buy a new one. When I was done I just left the fitting on and it hasnt leaked yet. I took it for a ride last night and everything seemed fine. Good luck fellas

Comment

Imagine if you ever sell the bike and the next owner decides to grease the front end with regular grease .
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Well Pat hopefully I'll ride this bike until she's 100% iron oxide. But if I do sell it that would be one bit of info I would definately include

Comment

By the way Caferacer i just went down to my local autozone and picked out a grease gun that had a rubber nossle. I'm not sure of the brand but it worked well. You just have to hold the coupler firmly onto the fitting so you dont leak oil while you pump.

Comment

thanks man i will go git one

Comment

Working...
                              X