1979 XS11 top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 XS11 top end

HI guys, I'm new to the board and new to the world of the XS11, although I emember these bikes well from back in the day and I'm delighted to finally have one. At least I will have one someday. Right now have a very big paperweight. I have a quick question - the first, I am sure, of many to come as I bring this cycle back from the grave. The cylinders and head on the 1979 XS11 and a 1980 XS11 have different part numbers. Will the top end of a 1980 fit on a 1979?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Look at the post named BAD SMOKE in the discussion section. The info you want is on the second page. This should be very helpful!!!
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Welcome Succubus to XS LAnd

Read this thread "Bad smoke"

Will answer your question

If you’ve not checked out the Tech Tips (at left)
      you should. Will answer several of regular ailments which can befall an XS.

mro

Comment

Welcome

By the way, welcome to the site.

You will find this the most helpful and fun site you have been on in a long time. And, there is no better bike than an old XS, in any form.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Great thread. Thanks for the quick responses, y'all. The other thread gave me another hint, I hope I am not misreading. Can I pull the top end without pulling the motor from the frame? I was expecting to have to pull the engine to get the clearance I need. But the engine right now is frozen so I have to pull the top end to diagnose the problem. It sure would be helpful to leave the 300 pound (or however many) motor in place while I figure out what is wrong. The motor will have to come out eventually so I can powdercoat the frame, but it's always fun to make a bike run before you worry about making it prettier.
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

It will work!!!

You can remove the topend with the engine in frame. No problems!! Just hold onto your cam chain. If it falls inside the engine you could spend a day trying to get it back out! Don't ask how I know this!!!
            Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Been there, done that. Not with this bike, obviously, but an earlier project. First I dropped the cam chain in the case, then I dropped the piece of wire I was using to try to fish out the cam chain. I also dropped the second piece of wire I was using to fish out the first piece of wire, but fortunately by then my case was full and the second wire didn't fall all the way in.....

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Hey Succubus,

Welcome to the addictive world of Xsives!!

The topend can be removed and worked on without pulling the engine out. However, you say that the engine is frozen??
                Will the bike roll in neutral? If so, then that's a good sign that the middle gear isn't frozen/burned up!

If the pistons are what are frozen in the cylinders, then you'll play havoc getting the heads off! Get some MMO and pour a few spoonfuls down inside the spark plug holes and let it sit a day or so. If the bike was stored outside, or in a nonclimate controlled environment, then very probable you'll have rust in at least one cylinder where the valves were open, either intake or exhaust, which would allow atmospheric influence....humidity, etc.!

Once it's soaked a day or so, then you can use the rolling chassis to help break loose the engine instead of trying to wrench it around by the large hex head nut on the right crankshaft alt. bolt. Don't try to use the square head of the timing plate on the left side, it's not strong enough for that purpose!

As has been mentioned, there are lots of tech tips....not just thru the link in the left hand yellow column, but also from the MAIN FORUM page, scroll down the page for a variety of topics.

Then, the next feature is the SEARCH function of this discussion forum. Use combination of words at least 3 letters long to help narrow searches. Have fun, and come back with progress reports!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X