speedo exchange/electical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo exchange/electical

It's raining today so I'm installing a new 140MPH speedo.
    Here's both:
    I hope

It looks identical to my 85MPH except for the different style connectors. I'm assuming the two black wires just splice together? Don't really want to wreck the original connector on the bike so in my electrical ignorance I'm looking for some advise on how to make this just plug right in. Without shorting anything out. Are these original type plugs available or by any chance does anyone have an extra? Thanks
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

by the way, just click on the little pic to make it big!
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

before you splice the grounds together, you should find the difference, what is inside that bubble in the harness?
      82 XJ1100 Maxim
      80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
      Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
      black on black

Comment

Can't you just switch the whole wiring harness/ light bulb assy from one speedo to another? I belive that's what I did when I switched to a 140 mph speedo from an xs750.

Comment

acof
          yep, I have that half done but don't know how to get that center connection (with the white and black wires) apart from the case. Don't want to break it not knowing how or if it comes off! Bulbs no problem, have them out of the casing.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

I checked my old speedo wiring harness. There is a rotation sensor in there, I think it has something to do with the self cancelling turn signals. It looks somewhat like a small glass fuse and is mounted inside of the rectangular black plastic piece. It's held in by two plastic tabs. Some careful prying and gentle inward pressure on the retaing tabs should let it come out.

Andy

Comment

I put a 140 on mine today. That piece just pops out and back in no problem
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

That little glass thing sure looks easy to break but I got it out and back in (the old harness in the new speedo). Can anyone confirm what the heck that is and if it is related to the turn signals?
                Now for a test ride.
                dpotter, I thought you got the 160 MPH version?
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Well, it lights up nice but doesn't work. (NOS by the way).
                  Maybe the cable connection? Cable seemed to go on fine but might be missing something with that hookup?
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad
                    That little glass thing sure looks easy to break but I got it out and back in (the old harness in the new speedo). Can anyone confirm what the heck that is and if it is related to the turn signals?
                    Now for a test ride.
                    dpotter, I thought you got the 160 MPH version?
                    DUUUUUUUUHHHHHH you're right.....Got it up to 120 today (giggle) always wondered about that particular straight away...
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

Speedo working well.
                      I now have 2mi. on my bike! Another 150 will go on today.
                      Thanks for the help.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

The little glass thingie is a reed relay, and yes it is an input to the canel unit. It's the bit that counts the distance to cancel turn signal.

A reed relay closes wnen a mgnet is near it.

Steve
                        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                        Norton Electra - future restore
                        CZ 400 MX'er
                        68 Ducati Scrambler
                        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

The little glass thingie is a reed relay

Thanks LoserShoes,
                          been wondering for a while about what Yamaha used for the distance part of canceling unit.

So what's used for the time element???

mro

Comment

Well, I lost my self cancelling turn signal feature and don't know why. I presume it has something to do with having switched the two wire harnesses. I can live without it but would prefer it working correctly. Speedo is working fine.
                            Does that magnetic switch control both the time and distance elements?
                            80 SG
                            81 SH in parts
                            99 ST1100
                            91 ST1100

Comment

Nope, just distance, time is probably just an RC circuit in the cancel unit.

Disconnet the wires to the reed switch and put an ohmeter across them, rotate the front tire to spin the speedo, you should see the meter indcate open and short alternately. If not the switch is either bad or not install correctly. It has to be pretty close to the magnet to work.

Also if you spin the front wheel and listen closely to the speedo you might hear it going Tick,tick... each revolution.

Steve
                              80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                              73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                              62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                              Norton Electra - future restore
                              CZ 400 MX'er
                              68 Ducati Scrambler
                              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
                              X