can I turn signals with extra wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I turn signals with extra wires?

I have a 79 that I'm trying to install new signals on the front after removing a fairing. The stock signal wires appear to be the blue and brown wires but I have bought signals with (3) wires. Can I use these?

Also, the back left signal socket was corroded so I replaced with a spare I had from my 82 XJ. The 79 only had (1) wire but the XJ had two. Can I use this?

I've been playing with them now for about an hour and without starting the engine in the garage (baby asleep at 11:25 pm) I just turn the key and I get all signals lit. But when I press the signal lever to the left, the left lights get brighter - no flashes. same on the right... Is that right or do I have something hosed with the odd signals with extra wires?

Thanks all you DC electric whizzes!

I don't know if this is the complete solution, but if your battery is anything less than fully charged, your signals probably won't blink with the engine off. As I think about it, the third wire is probably feeding the running light feature, and your light uses an 1157 bulb. Most motorcycle turn signals do not function as running lights, and use a single element bulb. I know there is a way to make the running light feature work, but I don't know the procedure. Perhaps a search on turn signals would shed some light on your problem ( I really don't believe I typed that) Hope this little ramble helps more than it hurts. Burl
    '79 XS Eleven Special
    "Dirty White Boy"
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

3 wires = 1 for positive turn signal, 1 for positive running light, 1 for ground for entire unit.
      1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
      1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
      1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

tab1324,
        yes you can use those sockets, but they require different light bulbs, just do not use the running light wire, the other two ( ground and positive) can still be used. make sure they are grounded good.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim
        80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
        Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
        black on black

Comment

I have a 79

Front turns have running lights.

Use 1157 bulb, one wire for turn, one for running light, one for ground.

Rear, 1156 bulb, just one for turn and one for ground.

mro

Comment

Hey Tab,

Is your 79 an F or SF. F had the running lights up front, SF did not! Also, the rear signal has 2 wires connecting to it, but only one thru the mounting shaft, the other wire is connected to the ring that fits around the mounting shaft and is grounded to the fender/frame that way! So...you just need to connect your XJ's wires to the colored wire for the positive, and the black wire that would have gone to that ring ground to the black wire=ground.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Very much the same type of problem but with my 1978e standard. I removed all the touring bags etc and mounted SV1000 turn signals. These are single element bulbs with two wires both front and rear. When I made the connections all four signals lit, but at low intensity (as if they were trying to be running lights) and when I turn on the left or the right signal they don't blink only just get brighter. I've tried many combinations with no luck but then I'm brain dead on this type of thing.
              Cheers, 50gary
              Last edited by 50gary; 08-19-2006, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Gary,

Sounds like you wired the running lights wire in with the turn signal wires. You need to find the blue wires that are connected to the front signal lights, and disconnect them. Leave the green and brown, and black wires connected, and you should then have your turn signals back! You won't have any running lights though! For that, you would need to get a different set of lights for the front that utilizes the dual filament type socket/bulb!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X