Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts for fairing and location of good mechanic

Greetings gang,
    It's been awhile, retired from the AF and moved to VA. Movers lost my cycle in a wharehouse for a couple weeks. Had them sweating it out about losing a classic motorcylce, but they found it with only minor scratches and dings.
    That brings me here to ask, does anyone know where I can get the hardware for attaching the lowers on a Vetter fairing? Mine finaly weathered away. Aslo looking for a decent place to have some work down on the bike, tires, brakes and a card sync. Anybody know of a decent place around the Northern Virginia area. I would do it, but I just don't have the time. Thanks and it is great being back on again.
    Time to fix and then ride, ride, ride........DJ
    To live is to ride and to ride is knowing how to live.

DJ RIDER

WELCOME TO VA! WAS BEGINNING TO WONDER IF I WAS THE ONLY LOCAL XS RIDER. THERE IS A SHOP ONE STREET UP FROM WHERE I WORK THAT TIM THE TOOL MAN [ MAC TOOL GUY ] TOLD ME ABOUT. HE SAID THEY WERE GOOD METRIC WRENCH GUYS. HAVEN'T CHECKED THEM OUT YET, CAUSE I'VE BEEN DOING ALL MY OWN WORK THANKS TO THIS CLUB! WILL CHECK OUT FOR YOU AND LET YOU KNOW. YAMAHA SHOPS AROUND HERE ARE A WASTE OF TIME DUE TO THE AGE OF BIKE.THAT'S JUST WRONG ..BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO.... FIX IT YOURSELF.. ... REALLY ISN'T THAT HARD TO DO WITH THE HELP OF ALL THE GREAT GURUS IN CLUB. NEED ANY HELP ,LET ME KNOW. PM ME AND I'LL GIVE YOU MY INFO. MAYBE GET SOME OTHERS TOGETHER AND CRUISE UP TO SKYLINE ON WEEKEND LATER.
    BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

The hardware for mounting the lowers can be had at any good hardware shop. The "well nuts" (aka expanding nuts) are the expanding rubber plugs with a threaded insert; I think mine took 1/4 inch units. You can then get either steel or stainless steel screws (I went stainless) in about a 1 inch length to fit the nuts. Shorter ones may also fit. Get 8 nylon flat washers to go between the head of the screw and the lowers. Price for the nut/screw/washer combination came in at about .95 each and you will need 8, so looking at about $8 total. All parts are in the nut/screw section in those little pull-out drawers most hardware stores use for 'specialty' hardware.

Or you can go to the Vetter web site for kits, or get kits on Ebay, for double or tripple the hardware store prices.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks guys for the great advice and help.
        To live is to ride and to ride is knowing how to live.

Comment

The vetter web site has them for around $30. I bought a set of trunk mounts from them and them in less than a week. It is also a cool website with a lot of history on it.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

I know of a guy who does all of the work on my xs1100. Since you are down in warrenton you are abou 1.5 hours from his shop but he specializes in Classic Motorcycles.

Motorcycle Classics of Maryland

Thanks
            Wes Bowen

'81 XS 1100 H

Comment

Working...
            X