Chromed switch assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromed switch assemblies

I am considering upgrading my handlebar switches to the chrome assemblies offered on MikesXS, #'s 2061 and 2063. Are any of our members able to tell me if there's any reason they won't work on my '79SF? Thanks for the help, Burl
    '79 XS Eleven Special
    "Dirty White Boy"
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Burly1,

AKMac used the chrome controls from MikesXS on his '79 Chrome Goodness

However, it appears that he had to rewire the clutch side control. Hopefully, he will chime in and confirm this.

Comment

Yes I did use the MikesXS switches. After having them on for several months now I can say that they are a quality replacement part and haven't had any issues. The only problem is that they are not a direct replacement because of the connectors.

What I ended up doing was cutting off all the connectors and replacing them with some pink "bullet" style connectors for each individual wire. I did this because I knew I might have issues finding what color should go where.

The right side was simple. Red goes to red, black to black and so on.

The left was a little more troublesome. Fore some reason there was an extra wire that the original switch didn't have. As I recall, I wired all the colors to there corresponding color. This left me with two extra wires coming off the switch housing. All I did was put some electrical tape around them and left them unplugged. Everything works just fine without them, but with one of them connected I would blow the headlight fuse within seconds of starting the bike. I think one wire was black, and the other was yellow/black. I think the yellow/black wire would blow the fuse.

I really wish I knew more about electrical stuff so I could help you better. My method is crude, but it looks very clean and hey, it works.

If you have any electrical knowledge this will probably be very easy for you. If you need help getting them to work, let me know and I'll pull the tank off so I can tell you exactly how mine are wired.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

HeyAk, get real fussy and run the wiress THROUGH the handlebars for a CLEAN look!!!

Comment

Thanks guys. As soon as the slush fund gets healthy again (just bought a very nice factory white Vetter fairing) the new switches will be coming. Burl
          '79 XS Eleven Special
          "Dirty White Boy"
          "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

Great Looking Machine

AK,

I must compliment you on your bike. You have one great looking machine. Congrats on the fine job.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
            X