pickup problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup problem?

is it possible for the famous (infamous?) pickup wire problem to only manifest itself when the engine is warmed up?

all of my pickup wires seem good and i cant get any "hourglass" effects as its written in the tech tip.

the problem is that the engine in my 78E runs great for about the first mile or so then it over about the next half mile it gets to the point that it feels like two cylinders arent firing at all. occasionally they will pop back to life for a few seconds. still does it when both petcocks are in prime position. the problem does not seem to be related to the position of the choke lever.

more diagnostic info to follow after it cools down a bit

thanks for any input

BEN
    79ish suzuki rm250
    82 honda cb450sc
    78 honda cx500
    72 honda cb175
    78 yamaha xs11e

Phill the strat had the same problem. Changed the pick-ups and it ran OK since. Try replacing the wires, then the pick-ups, since the latter are more expencive.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

dont you love it when the fix is easy?

i had mentaly ruled out a fuel problem since that wouldve affected all the carbs on any "normal" bike. Alas, the XS is no normal bike... i found a kinked fuel line on the right petcock-- it works great now! .

now i just need to get the headlights aimed and some turnsignals would be nice...
      79ish suzuki rm250
      82 honda cb450sc
      78 honda cx500
      72 honda cb175
      78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

I thought mine was carb related a loong time.. and only seemed to be a problem when warm as well... i guess the shrink or something must have had to do with it..

I could even get em back if i let it drop to 1500 rpm and then opened it back up.. that is for a while..

after a while it soo bad i spend a long ride at 23 mph ....

since i only had a 1-3 1/2 cyl bike....

got home and wolah.. the wires....

Best of luck.
        jeff "Wags"
        Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
        79sf rusty
        79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Working...
        X