Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going "native"...

Fellow XSives -

Last weekend's trip to the Owl's Head Antique Motorcycle Festival was the final one for me and "XSerendipity". This weekend I'll start removing the fairing and hard bags in order to return the bike to its "native" state. That's how Tina's son, Jon, wants it. Without the hard bag frame to use for mounts, I'll have to replace the Road King mufflers with the Fat Boys that I had on it last year.

Luckily, I was able to find an original Standard headlight with mounts on eBay. Cost about $40 delivered. So, for the cost of the headlight, a rear tire and a new inspection, Big Jon will have a pretty clean '79 Standard. All I'll have to do is figure out how to put back the original wiring.

Man, kids can be expensive, even if they're not your own!

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Gonna treat yourself to a new Bandit or make do with the current selection of bikes?? Jon needed a full sized bike, he has been to more XS rally's than 99% of the people here!

Don't throw the fairing out, naked is cool but in a few years he'll be asking if you still have that fairing..........
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Gary "sixtysix" Granger wrote:
      Gonna treat yourself to a new Bandit or make do with the current selection of bikes??
      Well, the objective is to end up with fewer bikes. First I have to decide whether to fix up my old '79 Standard and sell it as a runner, or just off it for parts. Mostly just needs tires and paint. I'm afraid a Bandit will have to wait until I'm down to just a couple of bikes. Besides, I need to save my pennies to get the Tri Pacer back in the air. Then I can fly to NY and ride yours!
      Jon needed a full sized bike, he has been to more XS rally's than 99% of the people here!
      Good point! Toronto '99 and two XS East rallies DOES make him pretty XSive.
      Don't throw the fairing out, naked is cool but in a few years he'll be asking if you still have that fairing..........
      No doubt! I was surprized he wanted the bike naked. Maybe he'll get more "cool" points" with the bike is in its raw, native form. Besides, I'd never throw out a good fairing...

Bill K.
      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
        Besides, I need to save my pennies to get the Tri Pacer back in the air. Then I can fly to NY and ride yours!
        Bill,

Anytime!
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
        X