fork swaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork swaping

ok need a left front fork for a 80 specicali found a set off a 79 special will they fit ? i think they will but anyone have a idea
    80 xs11 sg

Hey TJ,

The Yamaha parts fiche site doesn't have a parts # listing for the 80SG , the 79SF and the 81SH have the exact same # for the "complete" upper inner tube assembly. The outer lower tubes are different prefixes, but they appear the same in the diagrams, so I can't speak for what the difference could be!?

Could be a cosmetic only change, could be the positioning of the fender holes, brake mounts, any # of things? If you were replacing them as a pair, then there wouldn't be a problem, but mixing one year with the other could be a problem??

Since the upper tube assemblies are the same, you could swap out your older lower with the newer one, unless that's why you are replacing it??
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TJ, you can get the 'missing' part numbers for the SG from XS Part Number Finder and compare the fiche side by side.

The SG lower fork is a different part number to the SF; and the SG and SF microfiche show a difference, but it doesn't look significant.

(Click to zoom, SF lower fork on left, SG on right)

According to the fiche the SG doesn't have the bolt and wire holding the speedo cable - but the bike does have it ! I've just checked my SG.

Sounds screwy but this could be why the part numbers are different.
      Brian
      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Working...
      X