fork seals/oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork seals/oil

This is about the 79 special I picked up that was stored for probably ten years. Have it running with carbs off my other 79, I am working on the mess left in the other carbs. Got the brakes working good, both MC were a mess but now OK. As I have the brakes safe I took it out for a little ride tonight (runs great btw) but noticed a lot of oil on the right fork tube, none on the left. Forks hold air and bike has only 12K miles on it and looks right for those miles.

Is there a chance this seal will stop leaking after riding for awhile if I change fork oil. Left one is fine, maybe some riding will let it seat better? Wishful thinking I know. Also it has a vetter fairing would 15 W oil be better than the 10 W?

Thanks guys, lots of work on this project but having fun.

seals

hey ron I have never had one reseat once they leak I do believe they are done ( I may be wrong) I did have one seal blow out on me on the free way and let me tell you what little oil was in there tasted like crap. they recomend fork seal oil but in a jam 300 mile from home I used power sterring fluid and it worked gr8

Comment

Is the fork tube (slider) clean and not pitted?

If it's got a dried bug or something it can make it leak and cleaning it will stop it.

If not, I'd advise changing them both.
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
      X