Baffles??? Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffles??? Yes or No?

I just Got my first Motorcycle (Unless you count the little 125 i used to ride when i was 14) It is a 1980 XS 1100 Special. Been sitting for a while, has 12,500 original miles. I cleaned the carbs and it fired right up and I have been riding it ever since!! My problem is that someone has removed the Baffles from the exhaust. The pipes are in Great Rider conditon, not show, but no holes, so i was wondering can I by baffles for the exhaust??? The Exhaust is the (stock?) 4 into 2 and besides a little bit of rust in the front (not through, just surface), i see no need in replacing the WHOLE exhaust! Any Help would be appreciated!! I Just joined the thread, but I have been reading your posts and it got me through the carb cleaning, adjusting, air filter easy removal (THAT WAS A BIG HELP!!!) and I have looked all over, and I have not seen this question... Or I can't read. Thanks Again!!

A Little off topic, I was looking in my fridge today and found a pack of bacon that has eluded me for 8 months, still in the Cryopac, is it safe to eat??
    "You can lead a horse to water, but not a Whore to Culture"

Universal baffles

Here is a link to JP cycles page containing baffles. I never had stock exhaust on my bike it was gone before I got it. I dont know if these will help or not? JP Baffles
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Hey Grewie,

Welcome to the madness!! Dan posted a great link to some good priced baffles. I was checking with the other sources we use, found some on JCW, and Dennis Kirk, but JP cycles has very good prices also. You'll just need to measure the opening to figure out what size O.D. you'll need to fit in there. You may need to rig up a way to secure it, bolt it in place.

Another option is to put on replacement slip on mufflers onto your headers!

As for your bacon, there is a DATE printed on the package, but being 8 months old, it's probably way beyond it's expiration date! Best to throw it out.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks alot. Any other Good spots to get baffles? I can't find 4", that is what my O.D. is. It tapers the closer to the header it gets. Can I get smaller than 4" if I shove them all the way in? Thanks Again!

Comment

OEM pipes hava both "Yamaha" and part number stamped on top/rear of muffler.

mro

Comment

Originally posted by grewie_stiffin
            Thanks alot. Any other Good spots to get baffles? I can't find 4", that is what my O.D. is. It tapers the closer to the header it gets. Can I get smaller than 4" if I shove them all the way in? Thanks Again!
            Tapered mufflers and a header does not sound like stock exhaust are you sure you dont have Jardine exhaust? They have the large megga-phone style mufflers.
            Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Could be Mac

Does the exhaust look like this!!!
              Chaparral Motor Sports
              Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Re: Could be Mac

Originally posted by excess11
                Does the exhaust look like this!!!
                Chaparral Motor Sports
                Here is a Link to a couple photos of my (dirty) baby. Let me Know what you think the exhaust is.
                http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...fin/XS%201100/
                I only show one side, the opposite side is the exact same.
                Last edited by grewie_stiffin; 08-12-2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Looks like Mac???

It looks like a Mac exhaust to me. See what you think!! Mac Exhaust This link is to xs850 pipes made by Mac. I could not find Xs1100 pipes to compare to but Xs850 is similar. Looks about the same!!
                  Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

.. Jardine, those are the Jardine spaghetti 4 into 2s with the cross over. a few people on this site have these exhaust on there bikes and swear they are the best exhaust made for this bike.
                    i have modified a set of Vance & Hines baffles to fit in my spaghetti's megaphone muffs.. this set up has given me the best horsepower and torque out of all of the exhaust i have tried on my bike and this set up sounds kind of like a Ferrari , not too loud but very mean and powerful.
                    .. do a search for a thread called Dyno Results hot off the presses, there are pictures, part numbers and dyno results of this mod with this exhaust.
                    good luck

Comment

Hey!

Nice pipes!

Click on the pic to see the full size image.
                      These are Jardines also.

Comment

Thanks Guys! By looking at the pictures, I am SURE this is a Jardine Exhaust. Now for step 2, i have checked jardines website and NUMEROUS others and i cannot seem to find Baffles for them. The O.D. is 4 in. Any suggestions? I found a pair for mac megaphone, but they were out of stock. If i find them again, can i use or modify them enough to use them?? I wanna ride, but 13 of my nieghbors have already signed a petition to kill me. How many signatures does it take, beings there are only 14 people living on my block?

Comment

.. ok, i have the stock baffles for that exhaust system lying around here somewere, if you would like them just click on the blue tab called PM and we will talk. you can have them for the cost of shipping.
                          Gene

Comment

Mac baffle

I found probally the same baffles. Mac calls them universal 4" says they will fit Kerker,mac and others. The Mac part# 009-1119. I did a web search but found little results!!!
                            Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

Working...
                            X