Valves Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves Again

Does anyone know if the valves from a 1980 xs1100SG fit into the head of a 1979 xs1100SF, with little modification. Will the valves clear the top of the piston? Will there be enough on the stem for adjustment?
    If this will not work, will the 1980 head fit on the 1979 cylinders?
    I could use some feedback soon as the shop is waiting for this info.

Thanks everybody for the help.

David--n7qnc@peak.org
    541-563-6245
    David Abercrombie

1979 XS1100SF

Hey Dave,

The valves from the 80 head are not interchangeable with the 79 head, they are larger in the 80 head. But you can easily transplant the 80 head onto the 79 cylinders. It was pointed out that the pistons are different, but there is still room for the valves! Also the cams are a little hotter from the 79 head, so you will want to keep them!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

And I think I would try using the 78/79 shim clearances. The later model clearances are smaller, and would cause the valves on the intake to open closer to the pistons.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
      Hey Dave,

The valves from the 80 head are not interchangeable with the 79 head, they are larger in the 80 head. But you can easily transplant the 80 head onto the 79 cylinders. It was pointed out that the pistons are different, but there is still room for the valves! Also the cams are a little hotter from the 79 head, so you will want to keep them!
      T.C.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have the later '82 head on a '78 motor. I used the shim clearances noted for the later head and used the earlier cams with no problems... Just FYI...

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

THAT is a good thing to know! =:-) I need to archive that titbit in my xs11 folders.

Originally posted by trbig
          I have the later '82 head on a '78 motor. I used the shim clearances noted for the later head and used the earlier cams with no problems... Just FYI...

Tod
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. I really appreciate the input.
            David Abercrombie

1979 XS1100SF

Comment

I need to archive that titbit in my xs11 folders.
              See.... I am slowly catching on. I though that that Gurus kept all this info magicallly tucked away in a storage file in their brain... for later enlightenment on us lowly ones at the correct time. The truth comes out!
              I have seen that several of the Gurus made it through the 60's.... was wondering how you still had the memory cells left to accomplish this!

I used the shim clearances noted for the later head ...
              I don't know if I would have changed and used the clearances for the earlier motor or not... thinking maybe those valves need the opening they set em at?? But truth is.... I didn't know there WAS a difference at the time! It was aweful nice of TC to volunteer that info to me *Cough..... since he knew at the time I had just ruined the valves in the other head..... ever feel like a guinea pig?? lol. He better not say he just forgot about it... because we ALL know that's not allowed for a Guru.... only regular humans are permitted to forget!

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own