First gear problem new owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First gear problem new owner

I aquired a 1982 xj1100j a few weeks ago that was not running. At this point, the bike starts and runs good through all gears except first. If I put it in first gear and let the cluth out gently with very little throttle it will engage. Any other situation it makes a grinding sound and disengages. Is this the typical first gear problem or could it be an adjustment that I could make without taking everything apart? Will appreciate any suggestions or comments. Lou

got dremal???

There is an adjustment behind the sift cover.

Your shift pedal is attached to a shaft which has a 1/4 gear on it. That gear sync's with a simular gear on the shift shaft. (small dots on gears line up)

drain oil first., remove foot shift, then cover. If shift shaft comes loose reinstall. ( be sure tension spring is properly installed)

With trans in 2nd, and two gears punch marks (dots) lined up,
    located the line on the shift drum and check that it lines up with the line on the shift lever.

If need to adjust, theres a screw with a nut (held in place with a bent washer), unbend the washer and turn screw. Line up the lines, snug back the nut and rebend the washer.

I've been able to remove shift cover w/o having to remove foot pedal or exhaust, but your bike may vary.

btw
    Have checked several bikes to ensure this adjustment was "OK". All have been good, so you may have to check out the tech tips on the "second gear fix" which should help unless a shift fork is bent.

mro

Comment

Hey Mike and LouWortel,

Since his bike shifts into the other gears without problems, it's most likely NOT the shift lever alignment.

Lou, if you'll go to the tech tips off of the MAIN FORUM page, and scroll down to repairs, tranny section, you'll see the DREMEL fix for the 1st and 2nd gear problem.

The other 2 XJ's that I repaired has 1st gear problem, not evident 2nd gear problem YET! One was so bad anythrottle above idle and it would pop out of gear. Sounded like a machine gun!!

The tech tip will explain it all, not as bad as splitting the cases!!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

1ST GEAR

My bike did the same thing when i got it, (82xj) got different gears for it then tore it apart and found a bent shift fork. It was worn off bad from po trying to hold it in first gear. Check out the adjustment first. If you get different gears do the dremel fix on them before installing them. Read all the tech tips, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks Tom

82 XJ DAILY RIDE
        78 XS100E FIXING UP
        79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
        82 XJ IN THE ROUGH
        Thanks Tom
        82 XJ DAILY RIDE
        78 XS1100E FIXING UP
        79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
        79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
        80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
        82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

I also have an XJ. If I ride normally, it is fine, but 1st gear is Pfffft if I get on it off of the light. Skips and jerks...No wheelies for Muah. Normal riding is ok. 2nd gear is fine...... for now.
          I'm going to ride the S&^% out of it this year, but this winter.... SWMBO loses her car priveledges for the garage. I thought about sending off the crank for some work from the extra XJ motor I have.... Then rebuilding the rest with the 1179ci, for next year... What do ya think??

Crank Work

I was also going to either try this other tranny I have, or buy new gears..... don't own a Dremmel tool! : )

Read all the tech tips, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

OK... Really...... who killed Marylin Monroe then!?!? FDR?? Elvis?? Was it the little green men from Area 51??

Well..... I have just gotten back from "Happy hour" at the hotel I am stuck in. So this has taken alot out of the 3 brain cells I have left...... other two have me breathing and chewing gum. (I'm a smart S.O.B. if it wasn't for this d*%# gum!)

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Crank Work

The heavier the spinning crank, the more it resist being tilted when cornering. Light cranks not only make more power, but help improve handling
            Some of their prices look pretty good.
            May need to find out what bearings your going to use and let em know spec's.

mro

btw
            TC,

I did mention "dremal" and that I've not found an XS out of adjustment as well as gear tech tip

(have checked 3- 79's as well as my 2- 80's. Do have one 79' tranny thats got problems tho. Plan to fix it even if it's not broKen)

Comment

Working...
            X