Triple Tree xs1100 to GSXR??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Tree xs1100 to GSXR??

Anyone know of any other newer stock triple trees out there that will fit into a 79 xs1100, hopefully without welding? I was gonna try a gsxr, but I figure someone must know.
    karl -
    http://www.caferacermotorcycle.com

typically, all you need to do is press out the newer stem and press in, or machine in, your stem off your XS- I have never done it to an XS, but I have done it to other machines

Comment

Errr - posted in wrong thread
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Cafe, the big problem I see with this mod might be the modern forks are really short compared to the XS11 31.5" vs. about 29" I have some 2001 R1 forks/wheel/rotors/fender I'm dying to try but I want to have a complete front end to make a quick swap for no down time. The 17" wheel/tire alone will drop the front end by a full inch, and the forks being some two and one half inches shorter would put the ground clearance around 4"?
        I've called "forking by Frank" and they will make extended forks for USD forks for about $200.00. I wanted only two inch extended tubes that would lower the front by one and a half inches? The XS11 is a much heavier bike so the springs (R1 are quite soft to begin with) would have to be upgraded, again remembering the reduced ground clearance with the modern setup. The final solution would be to de-rake the front end and lower that "block" that the steerer tube is welded to. That would be major surjury.
        Let me know what you find out?
        Cafe, do you have an extra XS11 stem?
        I'm looking to buy one.
        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

well, to actually put it on the bike, you probably only need to change the neck stem, maybe some small machine work to the tree to get it to work.

So you have short forks but you want USD forks? Well, if you are going to spend 200 on top of the whatever you paid for the Gixxer or R1 forks, you have a pretty good pile of money, especially if you are talking upgrades!

So, if you haven't already bought the forks, I would suggest looking for modern cruiser forks, some of them are near 40 inches with my measuring tape "in the field" so to speak- you would have it all- fat front time, killer clearence- stiffer fork than the R1 stock apparently- you know off a big vulcan or VTX or something.

They have enormous fork tubes too! They are built for a MUCH heaver bike than your bike is, and if you are stuck on the Gixxer rim or R1 rim, you could adapt it to those forks- and still have plenty of clearance.

Comment

Talking triple trees here's one hacksawed off an XS11 and gonna use it as a forkbrace. The alloy fork brace in this pic is made by machinists. The steel one is 3lbs, the alloy 1 1/4 lbs. I'm picking you'd feel the weight in the steering probably. With both braces it would stiffen the hell out of the forks wouldn't it? Soon see. RD400's can run 100/ size rubber up front apparently and their 18 inch front wheels look pretty much the same as an XS11's going by pics on the web, I spose' the speedo would plug right in and read right.

Comment

I dont think the stock XS1100 forks would benefit from a tweak bar. I'm thinking that's what you're trying to do with the extra TT clamp.
              It would need to be mounted above the travel of the lower fork legs. That is 6" (I'm guessing) from the triple tree.
              The fork brace simply ties the lower fork legs together (along with the fender and axle) so they cant move (slightly) independantly.
              The tweak bars stops twisting of the fork tubes, particularly on extended length forks (choppers).
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

hey pggg

How ya doin? anyways, I thought I would post here and let you know an alloy lower triple from an older xv920,1000-other models will fit the xs forks(very light too!). I got the 18" wheel from the 750, Looks like you could put diff. size bearings in it and use it for the front also....plus it is wider than the xs 19"...just a thought...chop
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock
                80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Thought I search around for threads like these. I've recently started making on a small basis a custom clamp for the XS11, it can be found here: http://shop.neverstopbuilding.com/co...ant=1115689347

Enjoy!
                  '79 XS1100 Special "2-Up Cafe"

Never Stop Building
                  Custom fabrication. Bespoke furniture. Clean code. An obsession with the well-made.

neverstopbuilding.com - Facebook - YouTube - Instagram

Comment

Working...
                  X