Electrical problem - tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problem - tachometer

I have been having what I think is an electrical problem. My tach and turn signals seem to work fine until the bike warms up, then the tach fails. The failure point increases with time, starting from idle, then as increasing to about 2500 - 3000 rpm. When it fails, the left turn signal goes as well. I will check the wiring off the alternator (I think that is where the signal comes from) tonight, but anyone else have some idea?
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Hey,
    I had a problem like that, it turned out to be a coroded wire on the back of the tach inside the bucket it sits in. Also probably a good place to look is the wiring plugs that live inside the headlight bucket......good luck!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim
    80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
    Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
    black on black

Comment

+1 about the headlight bucket elec. connectors. I went through all of this without success - then my tach spiked so hard that it actually broke the needle off! My problem was I had a bad tach
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I've heard that a bad tach is a sign of a failing alternator. I supposed their wiring is linked ....
        81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
        sticky side down!

Comment

Snow, you have to stop revving the engine so high!!!

Originally posted by Snow
          +1 about the headlight bucket elec. connectors. I went through all of this without success - then my tach spiked so hard that it actually broke the needle off! My problem was I had a bad tach
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I replaced the wire with a heavier gauge and used new connections. I had continuity, but no tach. I then tried the original wire with the new connections and success!!! Started replacing some of the other connections while I was in there and I think I have a winter project to redo the rest of the connections.
            1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
            1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

Working...
            X