Question For Carb Guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For Carb Guru's

As we all know carb float height and the resulting fuel level in the bowl is a very important setting that can have long reaching effects on the engines performance. The most important issue being that the fuel level in each bowl be the same so all cylinders receive the same amount of fuel and that the fuel level be within the factories specs.
    THE QUESTION ... If this setting is so important yet so difficult to get "just" right because of many factors, would it not be advantageous to interconnect all the bowls together by was of a fuel rail across the bottom of the bowls at the drain plugs? If after setting float height on each bowl as close to specs as possible would interconnecting all the bowls not mean that all bowls would have the same level of fuel in them and the level would be controlled by the highest float. Then you would only have to set one float for the desired max level.
    A test to determine the fuel level in all bowls as individuals would have to be done first and as long as the highest level is correct it should be good to go.
    What do you think. Other then a float valve failure there should be no drawbacks?
    Let me know because if this seems like a reasonable idea I will do it on my bike.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Rob,

Don't do it. In your scheme, when you set the bike on it's sidestand, #1 and #2 carb will overflow.

When these carbs are set up right, they work fine. Each float will shut off the fuel based on it's setting. Just set the floats once to the proper setting and forget it. Do take care that they don't bind on the walls of the bowls and that the float valves are working:

Attach clean hose to fuel tee's. Hold carbs upside down and while blowing air into carbs with your mouth, turn carbs upright. You should feel the shutoff. if not, a float is binding.
    Last edited by randy; 08-08-2006, 11:25 AM.

Comment

The float bowls are not always level with respect to each other. I have a feeling that connecting them to a common float height would be a problem.

Comment

Fair enough guys. I was just thinking out loud.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
        X