rear mc problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear mc problem

Just rebuilt the rear caliper and mc but I cant get the rear mc to pump anything. Any good tips for priming/bench bleeding? Any pics of an assembled and/or blown apart rear mc plunger? Mine is a 78 XS1100E.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

priming the MC the redneck way..

I had a similar problem when bleeding the back brakes. I did something only a redneck would do.. I took the hose that was connected to the bleeder and put some suction on it... Ask me how I put suction on it... You get the idea. If you can suck a very thick milkshake down you can prime your master cylinder. Just use a clear hose so you can see when the fluid is about to choke you..

Good luck

PS - this is called the turn your head and spit method.

Tom B.

Comment

turn head and spit method.

Maybe being a red neck has it's advantages, ,

and to think I spent all that money on a vacuum bleeder
      could have got me a "red neck"

mro

Comment

Don't do like I did with the front MC and put the plunger spring in backwards. That d*** metal cap blocked all the flow!!
        1979XS100SF
        2007 Dyna wide glide
        Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

Guess I could be a little more usefull than just being a $marta$$

click below, might help

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

yamaha is nice enough to post a parts break down for there motorcycles.

Comment

Priming the MC is very easy, take the banjo bolt out and hold the end of the tube between your fingers. push on the pedal and let the pressure through your fingers, then hold tight when you let off the pedal to keep the MC from sucking air, then let go and repeat until you get fluid flowing through the brake lines. reassemble and bleed the system. Try it, it works.

MaximRider
            The only known XJ1100 Interstate

Comment

Well..... the "redneck method" did actually work. I figured what the hell...... I AM a redneck after all. I can hear Jim Foxworthy now ..... "If you prime the brakes on your motorcycle by suckin on the bleeder screw....... you might be a Redneck".
              1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

Comment

The finger method works really well. I always do that. Sometomes I will pump the MC by hand on the bench and put a little fluid in the output. THis usually gets it going and then I reinstall it into the bike, bleeding as I go. THen when it is all put together, just a few pumps and the job is done. Anyway, just a thought

BTW: the redneck method works well untill you have had a couple of mothfulls. You get the picture
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                X