Jumping in with both feet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping in with both feet!

Ok folks, I'm posting a couple of "Before" pics of my 79 XS11 Special tonight. I'm doing this because starting tomorrow, it is going into the basement and will remain there until spring, when, HOPEFULLY, it will emerge in spite of my ineptitudes to be the Beauty AND the Beast it was bred to be.
    I have never attempted anything remotely close to this, so I am nervous. I have no "Motorcycle" knowledge, though I am a former ASE certified auto mechanic... (Translation: I have some pretty cool tools.) So the wife and I are going to tackle this together.
    New paint, repair and rechrome the broken sissy bar, rebuild the fuel system, brake system (along with Braided Stainless Lines) and air system. Fresh bearings all around, replacement side covers and a nice set of 4 in to 1's are the goal here. This to go along with the removal of the fairing and installing a headlight, brackets and blinkers as I mentioned in a previous post.

We celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary in January. This is one of our gifts to us.

I'll be bugging you for tech tips, and looking for the best place to get them steele brake lines later.

Hope these pics work... Say good bye to Plain Jane, the next time she will be seen she will either be in pieces on eBay, or she will be known as the Beauty in the Beast.

Last edited by TomKat; 08-07-2006, 06:35 PM.
    1979 XS1100 SF
    Under Construction,
    Due out by Spring '07
    "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Well... it's obvious that I better have better wrenching skills than I do Pic posting skills, huh?

Little help!!??
    1979 XS1100 SF
    Under Construction,
    Due out by Spring '07

TomKat

Comment

See her in the SPRING !!!

Put both your heads together U cant fail !!

Bob
      1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
      1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Hey Tom,

Sounds like a great plan and project!! You'll have no problems with it, with your previous mechanic skill. If you will get a manual, it's pretty much cook book style stuff! But, please read thru ALL of the tech tips BEFORE you start, lots of little quirks and variations that will help you stay out of trouble!

Regrettably, the photo links didn't work. When you view your photos on Snapfish, do you have to log in? Try rightclicking on the PHOTO when you are looking at it, select PROPERTIES, and the highlight and copy the URL that is displayed and paste it in the message, not the URL that is displayed at the top of your browser window!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

photodump.com

Sign into photodump.com . Put you photo's in this ...
          When you post your photo's pick the bottom choice ..
          Hope this makes scence

Bob
          Want to see the now photo's ...
          1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
          1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Get your pictures posted so we can see what your starting with!! Good project for you and your wife. I have several specials here in Sioux City and travel on I-80 too much and clearly remember the Atlantic exits. Keep me in mind if you need help restoring as I've been through several now. I also have access to a bunch of special parts too.
            DEW
            One Red "Creation 1"
            One Black"Creation 2"
            One Black"Creation 3"
            One ???? "Creation 4"
            One ???? "Creation 5"
            One ???? "Parts Bike"
            All the above 1100 Specials
            78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
            1980 Midnight Special
            1978 650 SE

Comment

Hope this works, more later gotta go to work.
              1979 XS1100 SF
              Under Construction,
              Due out by Spring '07

TomKat

Comment

hey!

The bike looks nice and clean (except it may need a nice toothbush cleaning). I would keep the stock exhaust, since it doesnt appear in bad shape. I would certanly find a use for one right about now for my 2nd project bike But im a bit far.
                Anyway, IMHO, keep the fairing, paint the rest of the bike white and you got a winner. OK, and change the seat.

LP

PS: Did I say it looks great?
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

WOW, sorry for the monster Pic. I'll work on the resizing thing next. The exhaust is not too bad, but there is a hole rusted thru on the right muffler towards the end. It parallels the end of the muffler and is about 2" long. If you are interested in this set, make me an offer. Also, I prefer the one muffler over the two, that way I only burn one leg.
                  As far as the fairing, it is gone, sold on eBay for under $50.00. It was a good bargain for someone. I didn't like the isolated feeling the fairing gave me. But I did consider the white on white paint scheme initially.
                  And, for the record, when the sissy bar is on it, I think the seat looks awsome!!
                  1979 XS1100 SF
                  Under Construction,
                  Due out by Spring '07

TomKat

Comment

Working...
                  X