Hey Maxi man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Maxi man

I have an 18" rear wheel on it's way. However I think I have stumbled into another avenue for top speed, lower cruising rpm. I was looking at the rear drive gearing for an XV1100, The schematic looks like the gearing is quite a bit taller than the xs11's. If you know of any old xv1100 or 750's around these parts let me know. I don't know if this 18" is tubeless but it is 4" wide....
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Chop, wonder if the RD400 18 inch front wheels will swap straight to the XS forks? Also the XS rotors may bolt straight to the RD400 front wheel? Could be a possibility for an 18 inch front on the eleven.

Comment

anything's possible

What would be the advantage there? Besides the cool factor!
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Yep 18 inch wheels strictly cosmetic for a flat look. Just stripped and painted the front forks and drilled an extra 2 large damper holes and an extra small damper hole on each damper rod as is on an XS650 site. Dunno what it'll be like, but will use 15 weight oil overfilled slightly. Was going to put longer 'drop down' spacers in too, but the progressive type springs are too strong and I ain't cutting them down either, so the only way I can get the damn lids back on is by putting the lid on the ground and pushing my whole weight down on the tube and try and screw them together, that's with the lids set at minimum pressure, so the 1 inch spacers remain. Also gotta squirt the fork oil in the drain hole with a syringe with the fork upside down. Like I said, those springs are tight. I also cut off an old spare triple tree and cleaned it up to be a second forkbrace - slid and locked on the top tubes. It's heavy steel weighs 3 lbs. Will see how it goes...

Comment

Ok, who gonna be the first one to fabricate a "Super Motard" XS?
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Chop

As a matter of a fact the "little gold mine" I found up t Hennesey has one. If I recall there's an early 80's XV1100 sitting in his yard. It's not running an looks rough so I'm certain he'd part the thing. He has a classified under parts at this website and on Ebay under username jimbostoys2.

If this is a bolt on deal...and it might be because the shaft system looks very similar...then YOU may have just revolutionized the quest for XSive speed on an Eleven.

Comment

just did measurement

I just did a measurement on a 90's virago 1100 gear, this one looks like it is the way to go, the late early 80's don't have side shocks. I looked at the tach reading 10k on the 1100 virago. I will compare measurements when I get home, Looks very promising.....chop....p.s. I looked everywhere for a gear ratio on the xv, do you know the ratio on the XS?...
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

it will bolt up

just compared dimensions,looking good....
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

XSchop, what is the width and diameter of the XV1100 wheel? What is the XV1100 tire size? How wide of a tire do you think will fit in the XS11 swingarm? I have wanted to change the wheels and tires on this bike since I bought it. I want a 17"x4" in the rear and 17"x3.5" in the front This is not ideal I know but it's the best I could hope for with the swingarm being so narrow. I've given some thought to converting another wheel to the shaft drive mechanism.
                  Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Hey Chop,

My Owner's manual states the secondary reduction system is the shaft drive, and it gives 3 ratios, which I think are the Middle gear, and the final gear ratios.

44/47 and 19/18 and then 33/10.
                    The total ratio is listed as 3.261, but I think the 33/10 is the final drive, requiring 3.3 rotations of the drive shaft for 1 rotation of the rear wheel. I'll check the tech data on the Yamaha site and report back if I find different!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Chop,

The Tech Data confirms that ratio: 3.3:1.
                      A concern about the XV rear wheel is that it's a DRUM BRAKE!

I looked at the 80's and 90's models, all drum brake!

Gary, The swingarm is very tight, I've fit a 140/90/16 on mine, but it was raised white letter style, and the RWL's did rub. The sidewall experienced some more pronounced rubbing when I was riding 2 up due to flex from the added weight, but solo it's okay!

Chop's idea of using another bikes rear end may be the way to go without the radical chain drive conversion. The newer style drive shaft bikes have room for wider wheels/tires, perhaps importing the whole swingarm assembly, may be easier to modify the frame where the swing fits!?
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TopkatGR58, thanks, I thought a 140 would fit I have a 17"x5.10" from the previous owner, I haven't changed yet because I want to make sure all the pieces will fit. I've mentioned this once before but the front wheel/brake rotor/tire combo weighs an astounding 39.5# I havn't weighed the rear.
                        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

xv wheel

Hey t.c. thanks for the XS gear ratio info. I am now looking for the gear ratio for the XV. I suspect that it is a lower ratio! I am not planning on putting the xv rear wheel on, the xs wheel hub will fit into the xv gear ...chop
                          Last edited by xschop; 08-10-2006, 08:04 AM.
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

xs gear

Look familiar?
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

ratio

I just got a reply that the older xj/seca differential ratio is 2.909:1 That said, would it be much difference/ noticeable of a lower RPM at 70 mph,or any mph for that matter?
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                              X